Radio turns of then on, need help!!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I installed my aftermarket radio in my car (a crappy Jensen was already in there) & after 2 weeks the radio would turn off then on, it happen intermittently but now if I change my foot to the brake it does it, not always but most of the time, I looked at the wiring diagram for my 96 Civic LX & I'm wondering if a wire is being pinched by the brake or gas pedals, I have already rerouted the power, memory & ground wires, replaced all interior speakers, the only thing the radio harness has connected is just speakers which might be the issue with a broken or pinched wire, I may need to reinstall all the speakers from scratch & see if the problem persists, let me know what you guys think, thanks!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BTW it is supposed to say "off" not of in my title & I can't edit it.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
i see you live in florida, could it be that your stereo is just overheating? Its also possible that you just have a wire lose somewhere, does the whole unit lose power? Does it come back on or do you have to turn it on?

RonJ

Banned
Solder and shrink wrap are your friends.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i see you live in florida, could it be that your stereo is just overheating? Its also possible that you just have a wire lose somewhere, does the whole unit lose power? Does it come back on or do you have to turn it on?
Nope not overheating, it happens when I first back out of the driveway sometimes, it doesn't completely lose power, all of the setting & stations stay just goes off the right back on & sometimes it happens when I hit the brakes or gas pedals so I'm going with loose or broken wire but not in the dash, it's got to be near the pedals.

Solder and shrink wrap are your friends.
I solder & shrink everything, no electrical tape or twists, homie don't play dat!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Like I said, all of the main power wires to the radio are from different sources other than the harness in the dash, tested the voltages & everything is fine there, it's got to be a speaker wire grounding out, that's the only thing still running through the factory harness.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I checked today my battery connections & cleaned them, checked my ground wires in the engine compartment & cleaned them with a wire brush, & took a drive, within the first 10 minutes of my drive the radio cut off twice, seems like when I let off the gas to brake it does it, it doesn't always happen, I Might try a different head unit to see if that fixes it.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Different HU & still the same results, I'm at a loss here, answers for this are hard to find.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I have an update, when I turn the key over just to listen to the radio I put my foot on the brake or turned on the head lights the radio turned off then back on just like when I'm driving, so It's in the eletrical somewhere, I checked the harness under the intake maifold & found no broken or burnt wires but noticed the harness itself not connected together & have caps on the ends but I don't know why they are like this, are they supposed to be connected? I wonder if my ELD (Electric Load Detector) is going bad?

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
mine does the same thing but usually only when I don't have the car started (just on acc) or I have my music up way loud. Mine is battery related, your's could possibly be? I have an amp & two subs and my lights dim as expected. Also I'm going to do the big 3 upgrade as well... how old is your battery?

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine does the same thing but usually only when I don't have the car started (just on acc) or I have my music up way loud. Mine is battery related, your's could possibly be? I have an amp & two subs and my lights dim as expected. Also I'm going to do the big 3 upgrade as well... how old is your battery?
From the date code on the battery it's only 8 months old, I'm going to redo the grounds first to see if that helps, I have no amps or subs yet, waiting till this issue is fixed, I really think it's the ELD in the hood fuse box, the lights dim even when the car is running, #15 fuse in the dash panel is good & the wiring behind the inake manifold seem to be in good shape, also might be the regulator on the alt but from what I have read online most likely the ELD.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Went to the junkyard today & picked up 3 ELD's, 2 are from 96-98 civics & 1 is from a 97 integra, they all look the same, just pulled them out of fuse boxes & they didn't charge me for them at all, I also got a third brake light lens because mine is looking bad so they charged me $5 for that, I also pulled some 80 & 100 amp fuses just to have extra, it's raining here now so I will have to wait till tomorrow to give my results.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well the ELD might have done the trick but I also upgraded both ground wires under the hood, still need to do the alt wire to battery but I'll do it tomorrow, my lights don't dim at idle when I press the brake even with the radio turned up & ac on. I will do some night driving to make sure & report back, but so far so good.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright, I drove the car for an hour with the radio turned up, AC on, iPhone plugged in, & lights on, I am happy to say my problem is fixed. It was the ELD that was acting wonky so this new one fixed my issue, also helps I upgraded my main grounds as well, so far so good, I'll know better when I hook up my sub & amp, then we will see how it does, that update will be coming soon.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well its past tomorrow got anything new
Well in the above post I state the the problem is fixed, I have not installed amps yet, that is a weekend job & I'm a stay at home dad, I can only work on my car during my son's naps, at least I have a garage to pull the car in if it rains like it will today. I will update my progress when my amp & sub are installed.

dpt0415

check to see if it grounded correctly. mine did the same thing. i live in florida too. I even went and replaced my headunit thinking that there was something wrong with it. I checked the wires and IT WASNT GROUNDED AT ALL. >:(