Radio turns off when volume is high?

diemf50

i have a 98 civic ex, just bought a new kenwood deck for my car with ipod control... installed it clean doubled checked it and bam it worked! i raised the volume to test the levels and what not and was able to bump it at 30 for a week no problems.... now when it gets to 25/26 it just turns off suddenly and turn on again! what do u think it could be?

i had an amp in there before and thought maybe it was draining the power or some s**t and thats why it did it but nope its gone and it still cutting out.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmm may be a bad deck

diemf50

i had a kenwood deck that did that, but had the amo and sub with it. i took everything out and just hooked my new kenwood deck up to aftermarket pioneers.

cobb2819

the radio turns off and then back on?? sounds like a power or ground issue. if it was a speaker issue the radio would go into protect

diemf50

what does protect mode do? is that where i have to put in my security code? but yea it just did it to me right now... volume on 22 and then bam! off and then back on again... i have it grounded to the cars ground wire... should i just disconnect that and have it screwed to the harness?

cobb2819

no, protect mode will say protect on the screen, typically caused by blown speaker which. but the issues you're having seem more like power / ground. the ground on the harness should be sufficient especially since the radio will also ground through the antenna.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i thought it turned off to save it from burning or something? too much power=burning fuses? :what: i raise mine every once in a while turning the bass high so that my hand shakes as its on the steering wheel and it turns off and turns back on. maybe opposite not a bad stereo but a good one?

Tw3ak3d

If it cuts off at a high volume it can be a few things. The internal amp is reading an improper ohm load and will turn it's self off to protect the amp( possible blown speaker, test all leads with a multimeter, look for 4 ohms on all speakers) The internal amp may already be damaged.It could also be a loose connection some where in your harness or one of the pins on your radio harness is making bad contact ( check the black,yellow and red wires)

Hope this helps

diemf50

thanks... ima take it all apart tomorrow and make sure all the connections are good and then try it....

diemf50

okay, it took me a minute but i finally took the time out to take apart my dash and see whats up... i found a couple of problems that could have caused the radio to shut off and they are all repaired and working great. i dont have that problem anymore. problem i have now is the amp...
it plays fine and then it will shut off... both sound n power light
then come on at certain parts of the song...
all connections are secure and it should work fine, what do u think it is?

its only a 700 watt amp and the speaker is 1000w ...

paulx022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i would say make sure no wires are touching. usually a ground issue

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it cuts off at a high volume it can be a few things. The internal amp is reading an improper ohm load and will turn it's self off to protect the amp( possible blown speaker, test all leads with a multimeter, look for 4 ohms on all speakers) The internal amp may already be damaged.It could also be a loose connection some where in your harness or one of the pins on your radio harness is making bad contact ( check the black,yellow and red wires)

Hope this helps
^ pretty much nailed it..........check and make sure the ohms your speakers are rated for match the amp output. If they dont match then depending on the amp it will go into "protect mode" and or shut off totally. And double check you have it wired properly.

diemf50

wow.... nevermind, just hopped in and it started cutting off again... guess i have to dig deeper... think it could be the alternator?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Highly unlikely, unless other stuff is glitching out as well.

I would bet a guess that you have a loose connection somewhere that disconnects from the vibration. Could be a wire in the plug or possibly in the head unit its self. Follow where you have it grounded. Is it a tight and clean connection?

diemf50

i went in and made sure all connections were connected correctly... its weird cuz it usually cuts off when i flash my high beams, or when i turn my fog lights on, and when i hit the brakes... but lately its just been happening even when at a stand still and nothing being touched. the ground is wired to the chassis under the dash, but it did look like could be cleaned.... ima try that... the dude that wired the car before i bought it, had a 20watt fuse for the radio, isnt a 10 watt required? or since its a 98 a 15 watt? could that effect it. also my tweeters are connected but are dead.... could that be causing the short as well? really wanna take care of this thing before thursday.... im not trying to drive for 4 hours with no radio! lol

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fuse won't affect it. All that does is pop when the current gets too high to save from having a meltdown/fire. I would put the rating that it calls for but it definitely wouldn't cause what you are saying unless the connection in the fuse panel is bad.

diemf50

k thanx, what about the bad tweeters? since they are blown and still connected, could that send the audio deck into protection mode? ima start from the battery and make my way to the fuse box and check it out... thanx u guys...