Rattle Noise Issue: 1997 Civic

Tyler Gutierrez

Hello everyone, I'm new here and came here to ask a dire question. My girlfriends 1997 Honda Civic started to make a rattling noise as we were on the freeway. As we got home the noise got worse and when we put it in drive the gears made an awful grinding noise. I took a look underneath and the drivers side axle appeared to be broken with these parts on the ground underneath the engine. Neither of us know much about cars, do you guys know what happened and is it fixable?

Attachments

Tyler Gutierrez

Raise the front end on stands. Post pics of axle and where it is broken.
It's late right now, but I'll see if I can use the one it came with tomorrow. I unfortunately don't have any tools besides what the car came with. Here's one of the axle, any idea what those other parts are?

Attachments

xxValiumxx

That's not the axle my friend, that's the steering rack end. The broken bits you show in the first picture certainly look like they came out of the outer CV joint. One of the bearings and part of the cage.
No worries though, if you have an Oreilly's near you (not an endorsement) you should be able to pick up a re-manufactured half-shaft for about $50-$60.
A competent shop (I'd suggest fixing it yourself but you mentioned not having tools) should be able to swap that out in about an hour or so. a replacement cotter pin and 12mmx1.25mm self-locking nut are also consumables for that job, so maybe pick those up somewhere, shouldn't be more than a dollar.

Tyler Gutierrez

That's not the axle my friend, that's the steering rack end. The broken bits you show in the first picture certainly look like they came out of the outer CV joint. One of the bearings and part of the cage.
No worries though, if you have an Oreilly's near you (not an endorsement) you should be able to pick up a re-manufactured half-shaft for about $50-$60.
A competent shop (I'd suggest fixing it yourself but you mentioned not having tools) should be able to swap that out in about an hour or so. a replacement cotter pin and 12mmx1.25mm self-locking nut are also consumables for that job, so maybe pick those up somewhere, shouldn't be more than a dollar.
Awesome, I don't have the tools but my Dad does and he's great with fixing cars. Thanks! It's a relief we can get this fixed.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Awesome, I don't have the tools but my Dad does and he's great with fixing cars. Thanks! It's a relief we can get this fixed.
Don't forget to get an alignment afterwards.. or you're gonna go through your front tires in a couple of months.

xxValiumxx

I'd prefer a broken axle.
That's basically what this is.
It is far cheaper, where I am anyway, to just get a reman axle than it is to try rebuilding the one you have. Also far less work.

Tyler; I second the alignment thing. as far as tools, it's not too crazy of a list of requirements. I think I used a 14mm, 17mm, 32mm, a breaker bar, a ratchet and a pickle fork.
ALSO, get that steering boot fixed as soon as you can. you really don't want road grime getting into your steering system. Maybe both at the same time, while you've got the wheel off and axle out.

Tyler Gutierrez

Here's more pictures with labels. It also looks like the passengers side CV joint broke too. My neighbor recommend me to a very reputable mechanic who also does car restoration work that's going to give me a good price. Anything else wrong with it he'll let me know.

Attachments

Tyler Gutierrez

We were just driving on the free way going about 65, we were about 5 miles away from our apartment before we noticed the rattling. It was about 2 miles away when the sound got worse and the steering wheel started to pull. I got it home when the sound became louder and the car would screech and grind when it was in drive. It's my girlfriends car and she tends to speed in it sometimes, probably didn't help. The mechanic is going to take a look at it tomorrow. A good price to fix it of course, if it appears to be too much of a hassle to fix we'll just get another one but if he can fix it (which my neighbor swears to it) it's worth giving it a shot.

Last edited:

Tyler Gutierrez

Thanks I appreciate it, I took a look at steering racks for the car and they're not horribly expensive. I'll see what he says when I talk to him in the morning, if he sounds legitimate we'll take the risk.