Reading fault codes??

cctvman

Hi, i have a 6th gen civic coupe with what i assume is a b16 (1.6 SOHC non vtec) in it.

Currently have the engine check light showing is there a way of veiwing the fault codes with out a computer (link some pins out) or does it have to be properly pluged in?

cheers chris

RonJ

Banned
You need an OBDII scan tool to read the codes on a 7th gen Civic (01-05). If you have a 6th gen Civic (96-00), then click the CEL link in my signature.

cctvman

Many thanks for the super quick reply. Have just found the plug, run the test and got the following fault codes back:

17 speed sensor (sounds right because the speedo stopped working when the CEL came on)
41 primary oxygen sensor heater
65 secondary oxygen sensor heater wire (black wire)
92 EVAP Solenoid/Valve/Vacuum Lines

I'm a bit puzzled about the link to all these different faults when it was just the speedo not working. The alternator sensor fuse also keeps blowing so I don't know how to start fixing this lot :shock:
Thanks again
Chris

RonJ

Banned
Click the Fuse 15 TSB link in my signature.

cctvman

Thanks for your help RonJ. I have checked the Fuse 15 TSB and can find no chafing of the wiring around connector C115 - in fact my connector ends in a blanking plug and there is no continuation of the loom.

However, after checking around all the plugs/sockets on the loom in the engine compartment and resetting the ECU, the speedo started working again and the CEL went out (obviously) - but on a test drive, the speedo once again packed up, CEL came on and fuse 15 blew again. Checked CEL codes again and still gettiing:

41 Primary Oxygen Sensor Heater
65 Secondary Oxygen Sensor Heater Wire
92 EVAP sensor/valve/vacuum line

If there really is a problem with the above components - how come I could fix the speedo just by unplugging/ plugging the loom connectors?

Would it be more beneficial to just get the car on a proper scanner - will this give me more information on what really is the fault?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Chris