Reading OBD Data from the Old Honda 2+3 Pin DLC

SailorBob

I've got a 2000 Honda Civic iSR with the old 2+3 pin Honda DLC which I'd like to read ECU data from.

According to the Evoscan website the pinout for the 3 pin dlc is ISO 9141 K-Line, B+ and ground from left to right.

So I hooked up the K-Line to pin 7 on my ElmScan5, with power going to 16 and ground to 4. I verified I had the pins correct using a multimeter.

Now, according to the DLC page of the Hondash software cars with this DLC can be Honda OBD1 ( 92-95), OBD2A (96-99) or OBD2B after that.

So I figured that the car is probably OBD2B, so I tried the open source ScanTool.net software developed by the makers of the ElmScan5 but it wasn't able to communicate with the ECU.

So I also tried the Hondash software, but that also didn't work. Now it could be that the Hondash software only works with their own DLC connector they sell, and not with a standard Elm tool.

So I'm wondering if anyone might have any suggestions of software that will work with my current scan tool? I ran into a similar problem with my Mazda 323, and 626, which used either J1850 PMW or K-Line. I could use my standard OBD2 adapter, but needed special software like ForScan to understand the software protocol they were using; regular OBD2 software couldn't communicate with them.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you using a cheap elm bluetooth adapter? A lot of the cheap adapters are only able to read one protocol so might work on one car but not the next. There is a 2 pin connector on the passenger side above the ecu kick panel that if you put a paperclip in and jump the two pins it causes the check engine to flash and give you your codes

SailorBob

No, I'm using an ElmScan5 from scantool.net which is a pretty well known mainstream company. I got the adapter off amazon. I know about the 2 pin, but I want to get live data. Thanks! I was reading through the US WSM and saw that for 99-00 models with the D16Y8 pin 21 on PCM connector A is labeled K-Line. However, the US versions don't have the 2+3 pin dlc, only a 16 pin obd2 connector, and that shows pin 7 ( the k-line pin ) not hooked up to anything, but pin 15 ( option ISO 9141-2 L-Line pin ) seems to hooked up to the K-Line, which doesn't make much sense to me.