Rear Main Seal Leak 99 Civic V

Ashton Allen

I need objective advice. 1 year ago my mechanic told me my 99 civic VP had a problem with the cylinder sleeves and the engine needed replacing. He recommended one of the Japanese engines with 50K miles. Yes, I know it's probably BS about the 45K miles, but I agreed to buy one from him and allow him to do the replacement. He replaced the old engine with he "new" Japanese engine, along with a new timing belt and water pump. I have driven the car gently about 10K miles over 13 months. The rear main seal is already leaking and the valve cover gasket is leaking, both of which were replaced during the engine replacement. I believe the work shouldn't have failed this quickly and I'm considering asking the shop owner to do the repairs at no charge. I can't imagine it's reasonable for me to have to pay to replace a rear main seal and a valve cover gasket every year, right? Anyway, I want honest feedback about whether I should expect the shop to fix the work at no fee. Thanks Ahead, Ashton

zacki

Respected
depends on the agreement after he install the "new" engine, did he gave you warranty?
But if I'm the mechanic, for goodwill sake I will not charge you, changing seal and gasket won't sweat me I think.
Wish you luck.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bring it back to the shop. Just be very nice and request that they fix the seals at no cost to you. Valve cover gasket is easy to replace but I can imagine the main rear seal is a PITA.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The valve cover may just need to be tightened a little more. I agree to take it back to the shop for the rear main seal. They SHOULD have an idea why their repair is already leaking.