Rear tires rub when I hit bump

mrpepsalgado

I have a 1996 civic ex or do, I forget and when I have my daughter sitting in back and I hit a bump the tires rub. It seems that the shocks or springs drop to low . Any ways to fix this ? I do have rims and tires in this .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Blown rear shocks?

OEM suspension?

mrpepsalgado

If I do need shocks and struts I might as well drop it a bit - maybe coilovers? What do you guys recommend ?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Combination of bad shocks and poorly fitting wheels.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not even close. My fitment is on point, dialed in with proper offset wheels, spacers, and a good set of fully adjustable coilovers. Why?

Your wheels are a terrible offset and are rubbing because they fit poorly. You need camber and correctly stretched tires to pull off an offset like that which you don't have.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your tires are sitting underneath fender level, not inside, so they do NOT fit well at all. Secondly, your suspension is sitting high, so if they rub then its likely the combination of worn rear struts and a poor offset causing the tires to run the fender.

As for what suspension to go with.... RESEARCH IT! Every single week we have people ask the same question and I give the same answer. Its been covered numerous times on multiple forums, so look it up. There's a post specifically for it. Coilovers are overkill for daily drivers.

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Weld your rear struts solid so the fenders clear the tires. or buy wheel spacers big enough to put the tires entirely outside the wheel well. Also some big mudflaps and a lot of wheel bearings.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Weld your rear struts solid so the fenders clear the tires. or buy wheel spacers big enough to put the tires entirely outside the wheel well. Also some big mudflaps and a lot of wheel bearings.

What in the actual f**k is wrong with you?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol!

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
What in the actual f**k is wrong with you?
Lol, an overdeveloped sense of humour caused by talking to civic owners mostly, but also from talking to myself. =)
The OP has decided that the normal solution of buying wheels that fit the car is out of the question for him. Thats why he is here, we need to help him make the car fit the wheels. Lifting the car is out of the question as he wants to lower it. The only way to do that and keep these tires that dont fit is to cut out the wheel well opening bigger or with wheel spacers to put the tires outside the wheel well. Then you could lower the car almost right to the ground, put little casters on the underside of the car so you dont scrape and it would look uber cool. The spacers also would add more flex and travel to the suspension so you would have a softer and more luxurious ride.
The other option is disconnecting your passenger airbag and putting your daughter in the front seat, never carrying anything in the back and never hitting any large bumps or uneven roads.
You could also weld a stop on your shock to prevent the body from hitting the tire and put a little rubber on top of the stop so its not so loud or painful when it hits.

To all the guys telling him its his struts: what the heck? The tires are SUPPOSED to go up inside the wheel well. Thats why cars have wheel wells.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. I love the heavy sarcasm.

OP, you "assume" the struts are OEM instead of trying to verify at least visually. If thats as far as your effort level goes then go to a reputable mechanic. But theres no doubt those rims' offset are at the very least half the problem. Have you bothered to even check if the rims have spacers you can remove?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's not that the wheels are the wrong size it's because of the wheel offset

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol, an overdeveloped sense of humour caused by talking to civic owners mostly
I hate talking to most of those people and find myself dumber or wanting to bang my head against the wall.