Reference: Handling And Braking Information

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Two of the most important areas of your car that need modification are your suspension and brakes. Without a good suspension you can't go around corners. Without good brakes you can't go around corners, or stop before you hit a brick wall.
Honda factory suspension and factory brakes for the most part are very good, but as soon as you start building the motor, or swapping out the engine you are going to need to modify both suspension and brakes. I would suggest you modify both systems before you even start performance upgrades. Even though Honda's are slow, with slight suspension modification, they are untouchable in the corners.
Poly bushings and good sway bars are probably the most important parts of suspension tuning. You can have the most expensive set of shocks and springs on the plant, and the best strut bars, but without a Poly Bushing set or sway bars, your car will never handle as well as it could.
Poly bushings are probably THE most important suspension modification you can make. Poly bushings kits replace all the key rubber bushings in the suspension. They do not allow the car to roll like it does from the factory. You will see a huge increase in handling from a set of these bad boys. They cost about 130 dollars for a set of Energy Bushings. Without poly bushings you car will NEVER handle as well as it could. Take your handling potential and seriously cut 50% off it if you don't have poly bushings.

Honda brakes on Si, SiR, Type S, Type SH, GS-R and Type R models are usually outstanding. Each of these models has a braking system perfect for its factory horsepower and weight ratings. As soon as you start to increase power you will need to beef up your brakes. If your car does not have serious modifications, upgrading brake pads, brake lines, and maybe upgrading into slotted rotors is sufficient. Big Braking systems are advised for cars with serious power upgrades and usually will only fit in a 17 inch wheel.
For the rest of us who are not blessed with driving these special models, we first need to upgrade our braking systems to the level of these special models. For instance, a great braking system for a disc/drum 6th gen civic EX coupe is upgrading to DC2 GSR or EM1 Si rear disc brake assembly, high performance brake pads, and stainless steel brake lines. Power Slot rotors can also be very beneficial in this set up. For the factory power the 6th gen EX produces (127 bhp) and even on the same car with intake/header/exhaust this braking system is more than acceptable and beneficial. Factory Honda parts are very high quality and can take more abuse than you may think. Upgrading to expensive Brembo Big Brake systems is not needed in a civic producing less than 160 wheel horse with no added weight of a motor swap.
When swapping in larger motors like a B18, B20, or an H22, big brake conversions or extensive brake work is usually advised. The added weight of these motors can take a serious toll on your car's braking distance.
Below are some examples of different levels of suspension/braking mods:

Sporty Civic Suspension (weekend racer):
1. Tokiko HP shocks
2. Neuspeed Sport Springs
3. Energy full poly bushing kit
5. Neuspeed front upper strut bar
6. Progress rear sway bar
7. Skunk2 front camber kit
8. Sprint rear camber kit
9. EM1 SI rear disc conversion
10. Red Stuff Brake pads
11. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

Semi-Racing Civic Suspension (serious weekend racer):
1. Tein Basic full suspension
2. Energy full poly bushings kit
3. Neuspeed front upper strut bar
4. Neuspeed rear upper strut bar
5. SRR swaybar/tiebar combo
6. SRR rear lower control arms
7. SRR toe adjustment kit
8. Skunk2 front camber kit
9. Sprint rear camber kit
10. DC2 4 wheel GSR brake conversion
11. Endless brake pads
12. PowerSlot Rotors
13. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
14. ITR master cylinder

Full Race Civic (not usually a daily driver)
1. Zeal fully adjustable suspension
2. Energy full poly bushing kit
3. Roll cage (weld in or bolt in)
4. SRR rear swaybar/tiebar combo
5. Progress front sway bar
6. Skunk2 front camber kit
7. Sprint rear camber kit
8. SRR toe adjustment kit
9. Brembo big brake kit
10. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

These are just a few ideas to set you off in the right track; the shopping lists are more personal preference.

Happy tuning.

-David

AIM: a99jdmracer

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good info mate, sticky for now

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brakes are one thing that stop your car...

But your brakes won't stop at their best without the proper tires PERIOD. Your tires are what touch the ground, and they decide how well your car will get off the line as well as how soon you'll come to a stop.

Same goes for handling. Suspension mods and the wrong tires don't work.

copperfox

1337 h4x0r
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Absolutely right slammedblue, even if you get the suspension bushings and some great shocks/struts, your cornering ability is still limited by the grip your wheels have on the road. If it's in your budget, I highly suggest summer only tires in the summer, then switch back to steelies or get some good snow handling all-season tires for winter.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or if you are in Louisiana like me...Falken Azenis Sports all year round =)

jsnm

Not Available
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did not like the stock si suspension at all.Way too swervy and 2 much body roll.I changed it out w/ KYB adjustables and H&R springs.Very nice setup,good bit of drop and it is very stiff handling now.Got it from The Tire Rack,pricing wasnt too bad either.As for brakes i went with akebono pads and ractive drilled and slotted rotors.My left rear brake caliper seized up on me last year and ate my whole brake pad,so i had to replace the caliper as well.Has anyone else ever had them seize up on them?My mechanic said it was from usin the e-brake to much.I dont know.

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
good info...

Progressive Image Racing

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Using your e-brake to much will make them seize up sometimes. Happened to my boy's hatchback, he used to pull it around every corner to get sideways...

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u typically want a bigger rear sway bar compare to the front sway bar

slammed_93_hatc

NoR*CaL knowledge b***h
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think this is a very good start but i disagree with many things.
edit - forgot to add, i think every one should race there stock car first and experiance.

and tires are a HUGE limiting factor to your suspension.

Sporty Civic Suspension (weekend racer):
1. Tokiko HP shocks
2. Neuspeed Sport Springs
3. Energy full poly bushing kit
5. Neuspeed front upper strut bar
6. Progress rear sway bar
7. Skunk2 front camber kit
8. Sprint rear camber kit
9. EM1 SI rear disc conversion
10. Red Stuff Brake pads
11. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

now most of this stuff is right on but i have a few problems im not super aware of HP shocks, if they are adjustable then there a good start, but i would never suggest going with a non-adjustable shock, unless its just a car for driving on the street, the adjustablility of dampers is EXTREMLY important and can play a HUGE roll in your suspension. so i suggest KYB AGX, i have had these they are very durable and work good. now if you are going to plan on going to more then five racing events i suggest you go with KONI YELLOWS, these shocks are top notch and can be modified, to whatever you need. now i would suggest you to go with EIBACH ERS springs with any adjustable perch setup you wish, i recommend ground controls setup for the yellows. the eibach ERS springs are great and i **think** you can get them in any lbs in incraments of 25, not super sure on this but its either 25 or 50lbs intervels.

now i would complete leave strut bars out of there not part of the suspension, and i feel that 80% of them are a waste.

the poly bushings are GREAT upgrade and no suspension can be complete with out them.

now as far as camber kits go, unless this is a serous race car or you are going to go to an alignment shop befor and after every race i wouldn't worry about them. as for racing you want camber and for daily driving you don't, and while lowering you car already creates camber i don't see a need for a basic weekend racer to need camber kits. unless the camber spec are out from left to right a bit. because this can effect how your car handels going around different corners. but there not a bad idea, and if your not on a tight budget they would be something to consider.

rear disk coversion is a must, but i think if you put these on you need to address the proportioning valve and the mc.

and as far as the brake pads go, i think any one racing there car is competant to understand this http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/brakes.html and go from there.

and as far as the sway bars go, i wouldn't be sooo subjective to say one bar or another, it needs to complement your spring rates and what not. here is a great article to read about sway's http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/swaybars.html

slammed_93_hatc

NoR*CaL knowledge b***h
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Semi-Racing Civic Suspension (serious weekend racer):
1. Tein Basic full suspension
2. Energy full poly bushings kit
3. Neuspeed front upper strut bar
4. Neuspeed rear upper strut bar
5. SRR swaybar/tiebar combo
6. SRR rear lower control arms
7. SRR toe adjustment kit
8. Skunk2 front camber kit
9. Sprint rear camber kit
10. DC2 4 wheel GSR brake conversion
11. Endless brake pads
12. PowerSlot Rotors
13. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
14. ITR master cylinder

now this is were i REALLY start to disagree. and i will have my rant about why i don't like the lower end TEIN suspension.

the basic= s**t. its a non adjustable full coilover. and that is HORRIBLE. its basiclly an over price (stock replacment shock) with a severly underated springs (spring rate that is).

and the SS is horrible as far as im concerned too. a freind of mine 3 years ago, had koni yellow with the GC full coilover's with integra spring rates, and a comptech rear sway (this was on a 99 ex). teins came out and he thought they would be really really good (bought into the hype). so he purchased the basic, and was soo pissed off at how they performed, it was like having stock suspension with height adjustability.

so he sold those and purchased the tein SS. agian he was disapointed with the performance in these but it was a ste above the basic, still really lack luster though. so he thought "well i will put on DC springs". did that, and still wasn't good, its basiclly sucked compared to the gc/yellow setup.

me and him spent about 3 weekends trying to see if we could dial in the suspension couldn't get anything to work. so he sold those and moved back to his gc/yellow setup.

ever since then ive said "keep you green bling, ill stick with function". now thats not to say that some of tein's higher end products suck, never driven a car with them and never riden in a car with them.

but the point being that you can setup a yellow/gc setup to out do 95% of the setups out there.

-------------sorry that was my rabeling about tein, take it for what you will, if you going for a smooth ride all of those setup's provided a great ride, but i think its stupid to spend 600-800 on a smooth ride--------------------------

now i would still suggest the gc/yellow setup with your pick of spring rates, and get the koni's shortened, re-valved to whatever you like.

now you can basiclly re-apply every i stated up above to this setup again.

most importantly, having the correct combinatioin is more important then having the best parts. IE if you spent 2000, on coilover, got sway's to match and thats it. your car still wont handel that great, becuase you missing the man limmiting factor tires, not to mention brakes also.

again, this was just my opinion didn't mean to step on your thread, i just thought it would be good to add some variety here, and give people knowledge so that they can pick what they want.

slammed_93_hatc

NoR*CaL knowledge b***h
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also here are some good links to info about all different suspension componets and chassi stiffening parts

strut bars http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=845799 (brefely discuess what a good sway bar might be construct to look like and what not)

extending travel- http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=845108

corner balancing- http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=846927

DIY extended travel- http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=469485

user name "TYSON"s post that defines suspension and chassi parts http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=849808

again how i learned most of what i know is by reading these post's and others.

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where could i find the Energy full poly bushing kit?

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nvmind i answered my own question in like 2 secs...

Silver-Shooter

silveRShooter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wtf is the tein basic suspension doin on that list? gc's w/ custom rates on agx's or konis would provide superior handling.

TurboTravo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the tokico kit right now with the hp shocks and springs. and im preety dissapointed. body roll seems worse. i think ill either get tein basic coilovers or kyb agx