Reference: Multipoint Harness Safety(please read if you have aftermarket belts)

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looking through the members cars here I have seen alot of people with bad installs of mulit-point harnesses so I decided to go get a little info for you all to maybe save some people the trouble of learning the hard way.

Harnesses have their own drawbacks. First are roll-over concerns. You should NEVER, EVER use any 4, 5, or 6-point harness in your vehicle without a roll bar. In the event of a rollover a multi-point harness will hold your body upright as the roof collapses on your head. At a minimum you should use a good 4-point roll-cage to help prevent this from happening. The stock 3-point harness, however, does not suffer from this problem. During a rollover accident it will allow your body to move downards with the roof in most cases, helping to prevent crippling neck and spinal injuries.

Secondly multi-point harnesses must be installed correctly in order to be effective. The shoulder harnesses should be attached no lower than six-inches below the shoulder line, and should be at no more than a 45-degree angle from the top of the shoulder to the mounting point. Ideally the belt should be mounted evenly with the top of the shoulder line. Additionally you want some length of seat-belt material between you and the mounting point for adjustability and proper effectiveness. Too much material though can cause other problems.

There are two reasons for these stipulations. First, seatbelts by design are intended to stretch in an impact. This allows your body to slow down gradually in a collision. Too much material between the mounting point can cause an excessive amount of slack after they stretch, allowing your body to escape from the belts. When belts are mounted to the rear seat area of the vehicle, the large amount of material between the mount point and the driver can suffer from this problem. This could allow the body to come into contact with interior parts of the car, like the steering wheel or dash board, or even dislodge completely from the belt.

Secondly by making sure the belts are even with or slightly below the shoulder line ensures proper effectiveness. If the belts are mounted too low they can cause spinal compression injuries in a frontal crash. As the body moves forward the belts pull downward on the shoulders, compressing the spine. This can cause compression fractures in the vertebrae, herniated disks, or even break the spine.

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Makes my body ache.....I'm def. throwin a cage in this winter :thumbup: thanks for the hella good info

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So i am thinking this is the wrong section, I dont care where it gets moved as long as people see it.

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
So i am thinking this is the wrong section, I dont care where it gets moved as long as people see it.
yeah it def. is lol....but it's cool, someone will move it.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes very important info but its not illegal to run the harnesses without a cage. Im getting one for sure, but not until i hit 11's.

soldiaboy

343 FDNY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what harness bar do you recommend? im sure the cheap ones wont dont s**t in a accident

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
soldiaboy said:
what harness bar do you recommend? im sure the cheap ones wont dont s**t in a accident
its a welded bar that bolts in, the only problem i can see with the cheap ones is how they fit....I have a 6 point cage in mine, but most people dont want to go that far

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
its a welded bar that bolts in, the only problem i can see with the cheap ones is how they fit....I have a 6 point cage in mine, but most people dont want to go that far
How much was your btw? I heard something like $100 a point for a custom cage? Is that right? You have pics?

i'm seriously considering doing it when I strip my interior this winter, so i figure I might as well get all the info i can...

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A decent six point will be around $500-1K. Im sure a good harness bar starts around $300.

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:werd: i've seen many members going without roll cages. and without proper mounting bars for the harnesses. oc_civic is a great example of how harnesses should be put in.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jezek said:
How much was your btw? I heard something like $100 a point for a custom cage? Is that right? You have pics?

i'm seriously considering doing it when I strip my interior this winter, so i figure I might as well get all the info i can...
Well I got my cage for free, my friend was gettiong out of scca racing and let me have first dibs on his stuff. But I have done some research on cages and have seen 6-8 point cages for around 400 bolt in. But if I was going to have it done right and not just a bolt in I would go local and find someone where you could sss their work first. Ask about welding certs and check his welds yourself. Don't shop for cheapest go with quality.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't think we'd have any members that would have enough force to CRUSH the roof down enough to do any damage.. A rollover wouldn't have much force to bring the roof down... Believe me. I've seen ALOT of rollovers, and out of MANY, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 that was bad enough for this, and they were doing 80+.. If you want safety, upgrade tires, suspension and anti-roll bars, as this will cut down the chances of a rollover dramaticly.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, rollovers can began so many ways no amount of parts can save you. Safety equipment is the best way to go.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea.. I mean, a soft suspension that rolls alot will help from rolling the car over..

Alot of roll overs actually happen from people over correcting, and steering radically, the car rolls to each side and finally, rolls over.. If ou have a car that can keep the rolling to a minimum, your chances of rolling over are significantly lower, along with a car that is LOWER.. Because your Center of Gravity is alot lower, therefore making it much harder to rollover.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Coming from my roommate a firefighter: Most roolovers he has see the roof is crushed no matter what speed the skidmarks say, also most happen not from just over correcting but from T-Boning and hitting a pothole when sliding sideways after over correcting.

Both of thoes no matter your anti-roll setup can not be stopped, and the roof of a car cannot hold the weight of a car under static load, why do you think it would work under a working load?

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic in his member rides post posted the link to that I/O Racing site with AutoPower drop in cages. Granted its not the best thing ever, I'm doing one. 400-ish bucks, connects to the rear shock towers and the bottom of the seats, and has bars directly behind you to put harnesses on, is EXACTLY why I'm doing it.... because I'm doing a Recaro and Takata for myself for autocrossing.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your car just doesn't MAGICALLY roll over.. My friends a Firefighter, and I know a retired Firefighter, and when we had this talk awhile back, both said that if a car does, say a 3 turn roll over, the damage to the roof and it's support is pretty much good, because of SAFETY standards. They both said, with car's they saw with Multi-Point Harnesses and those without, 99% of the time, the multi-point harness saved the persons life, if they were wearing a 3 point (Normal) they wouldn't have lived.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Magic8Ball said:
Your car just doesn't MAGICALLY roll over.. My friends a Firefighter, and I know a retired Firefighter, and when we had this talk awhile back, both said that if a car does, say a 3 turn roll over, the damage to the roof and it's support is pretty much good, because of SAFETY standards. They both said, with car's they saw with Multi-Point Harnesses and those without, 99% of the time, the multi-point harness saved the persons life, if they were wearing a 3 point (Normal) they wouldn't have lived.
did you read what a wrote??? pothole ot T-bone, neather of which are magic. it might not be true of the pothole, but with the T-bone there is going to be damage to the roof support.

edit, anyway if you want to hurt yourself hook up your belt wrong like every other ricer. I am just here to inform, not to argue. I see people failed on tech for this all the time and get pissed. people dont realize when they hook this s**t up wrong they are huting them selves.