Reliability of 7th Gen?

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I said "average owner" because Ford, for example, sells hundreds if not thousands of Fiestas or Focuses to each GT, diesel, or uncommon higher end trim. So while those charts are tools, I strongly feel theyre fall less accurate or trustworthy then many are made to believe. Im sute you still agree that nothing is more valuable than real person feedback & experience.
To play off topic devils advocate ford sells more f150s than anything else... like way more. Meaning a typical ford owner is more likely to own a pickup . "Today's consumer" is less likely to maintain ANY vehicle no matter manufacturer as reliability of cars increases, PM lessens to very long service intervals and average length of ownership lessens.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To play off topic devils advocate ford sells more f150s than anything else... like way more. Meaning a typical ford owner is more likely to own a pickup . "Today's consumer" is less likely to maintain ANY vehicle no matter manufacturer as reliability of cars increases, PM lessens to very long service intervals and average length of ownership lessens.
Well, Ford pick-ups are overrated crap too. I just didnt want to outright say being that their owners are usually in denial of it. But at this point we're kind of splitting hairs. We both made helpful points for the OP to consider.

dancam

Registered VIP
I said "average owner" because Ford, for example, sells hundreds if not thousands of Fiestas or Focuses to each GT, diesel, or uncommon higher end trim. So while those charts are tools, I strongly feel theyre fall less accurate or trustworthy then many are made to believe. Im sute you still agree that nothing is more valuable than real person feedback & experience.
Quite wrong actually. 2015 fiesta sales 64,458. Focus 202,478. USA sales. F-series 780,354. Thats 3 TIMES as many pickups. Fiesta price range is 14.5-21k. Focus is 17-29k. But the 29k is the electric, next highest was like 26k. F150 26-52k. F-250 and 350 is 31-55k, f-450 STARTS at 51k and goes to 70k. All prices come from edmunds. So the BASE price of an f-150 is the same as a high end focus. I believe 30% of diesel trucks sell at the highest trim level and buyers want higher trim levels. I couldn't find that article back though. When people buy expensive vehicles they take them back to the dealer and they complain about every rattle. Owners of cheap cars dont. And yes, owner feedback is good, but quite often owners dont even know what they have or whats normal and not normal. A lot of people who bought dual clutch automatics didnt know that they were simply automated manuals and complained about how the ride was jerkier than a nice regular torque converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zircoben

Why then do brands like Lexus, Mercury, Lincoln, and Cadillac (all premium brands) rank consistently high on the survey? Their owners would likely take it back to the dealer for every little rattle even more than the other brands.

Overall, I think the survey balances itself. With so many cars out there and so many varied owners, I think the JD Power ratings can be taken with a good deal more than a grain of salt. A random American is just as likely to take their Focus to a dealership to repair as their Civic to the dealership, and I'd bet the proportion of those who'd take it to a dealer over fixing it themselves or 'living with it' averages out pretty closely across the brands; simply because of the sheer mass of the populace in the study.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Quite wrong actually. 2015 fiesta sales 64,458. Focus 202,478. USA sales. F-series 780,354. Thats 3 TIMES as many pickups. Fiesta price range is 14.5-21k. Focus is 17-29k. But the 29k is the electric, next highest was like 26k. F150 26-52k. F-250 and 350 is 31-55k, f-450 STARTS at 51k and goes to 70k. All prices come from edmunds. So the BASE price of an f-150 is the same as a high end focus. I believe 30% of diesel trucks sell at the highest trim level and buyers want higher trim levels. I couldn't find that article back though. When people buy expensive vehicles they take them back to the dealer and they complain about every rattle. Owners of cheap cars dont. And yes, owner feedback is good, but quite often owners dont even know what they have or whats normal and not normal. A lot of people who bought dual clutch automatics didnt know that they were simply automated manuals and complained about how the ride was jerkier than a nice regular torque converter.
I only partially disagree with you in regards to Ford because that vast majority of their truck sales are for commercial & business use. They obviously stay on top of their vehicles more. But also factor in thst Hobda doesnt have anything equivalent to that so their cars are primarily owned by average people and not construction workers, electricians, etc.

Also, Ford doesnt have long warranties. Once their up most go to a typical mechanic and the true test of vehicle quality is its long term durability, not the first few years when theyre the warranty covered years that peopke tend to govto the dealer. Id love to see a detailed report of the year and model range of the vehicles they get. Im pretty confident you'll never hear of one. Again, technicalities like this that most peopke dont realize is how they manipulate the truth.

Im sure we can go all day long dissection technicalities. In the end, the lesson to be learned is to cover all the bases you can and to trust word of mouth over company generated statistics that can be easily manipulated with semantics to prove virtually any point.

dancam

Registered VIP
Right, because nobody uses honda's in fleets for rental cars or taxi's and stuff... And i think those vehicles get neglected more. The drivers have no vested interest in the vehicles because they dont own them so they dont care. Its just a work vehicle to them.
And if you wanna talk about short warranties how about honda's 30,000km/ 1 year powertrain warranty on the 7th gen civics? I bought a 2003 civic auto from a neighbour. He bought it new off the lot and had put the 320,000km on all himself. When you accelerate when the car is cold the engine will hit the redline between shifts if you use more than 1/8th throttle. You have to baby it until its warm. When i asked him about it he said it did that right from new and the dealership told him it was normal so he never questioned it again.

zircoben

Right, because nobody uses honda's in fleets for rental cars or taxi's and stuff... And i think those vehicles get neglected more. The drivers have no vested interest in the vehicles because they dont own them so they dont care. Its just a work vehicle to them.
And if you wanna talk about short warranties how about honda's 30,000km/ 1 year powertrain warranty on the 7th gen civics? I bought a 2003 civic auto from a neighbour. He bought it new off the lot and had put the 320,000km on all himself. When you accelerate when the car is cold the engine will hit the redline between shifts if you use more than 1/8th throttle. You have to baby it until its warm. When i asked him about it he said it did that right from new and the dealership told him it was normal so he never questioned it again.

It says a lot when you look at the local cars for sale and the mileage many of them are at. People most likely sell their cars when they think they are about to die or when they are getting to expensive to upkeep, and I always see Ford's being sold locally at around 150K miles, Toyotas and Hondas at about 250K, and Chevy's and Hyundai's usually at about 180K for the small cheap cars that I look at from about 15 years ago (The Focus, Accent, Civic, Corolla, etc.)

That and word of mouth from mechanics and real owners probably are the most reliable sources of reliability info at the end of the day.

bubbajerm

Respected
It shouldn't be an issue. The fact that there is so little aftermarket support for this generation and so few things swap over, whether it be from the previous generation, later generation or even within the generation.
These are by far, are the least desirable generation of Civic, compared to anything before it, and anything after it.
Challenge accepted!

02Civic_EM2

NikkiLauda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Most motors die from lack of maintenance. If a certain vehicle has a significant amount of engines dying with proper maintenance, and/or early and not being beat on then i call that unreliable. Is it really bad? No. How does it compare with other vehicles? I dont know enough other vehicles. But following a manufacturers maintenance schedule, not beating on the car and not parking it for long periods any gas engine should easily last 400k miles and be expected to last 500+. if it doesn't then thats a bad engine. If lots do it then the engines were made bad or the maintenance schedule is off. But very few vehicles get proper maintenance after 200k. Civics shouldn't throw bearings, break rods at 100-200k with proper maintenance or blow head gaskets without gauges reading hot first and these do. The one i have has been good for the engine.

Old thread but i just want to bump this dudes message. Dead on. Ppl talking about head gaskets being problems...ive owned 3 em2 civics and none ever blew a head gasket on me and i would bang them up to 6500rpm once in a while too get some juice. Proper maintenance is key. Did my own timing belt water pump, tensr, flushed coolant, changed thermostat and was golden. Problems with these civics are mainly transmission based. 5 speeds have a input shaft bearing engineering fault causing them too wearout prematurely.
Engine wise theyre little woodpeckers working all hours. Drove to montreal then drove around montreal, not even a hiccup.

Last edited: