1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Removal of stuck distributor rotor?

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by hankmeister, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. hankmeister

hankmeister New Member 5+ Year Member

Hey all,
    I decided to put in a new distributor cap/rotor on my '90 hatchback. Appears to have last been changed sometime during the Clinton administration. Predictably, the rotor is well stuck. Any tips on how to get it off?

A quick search returned a ton of non-related threads, but one did mention heating it up and twisting off with pliers. If that's the way to go, what can I use that's likely to be handy? Would a hair dryer work? (Don't laugh, I can't think of much else around here at the moment:lol:)

thanks much in advance
    Hank

2. obracer12

obracer12 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

well i would first try and get a good angle on it to get it out, other then that if you can get the sides of it needle nose pliers.. or hit it with a heat gun and/ or a little and i mean little sprits of wd40.. but don't strip it.. but get another one either way

3. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Did you already succeed in extracting the rotor screw?

[​IMG]

4. hankmeister

hankmeister New Member 5+ Year Member

Oops...uh, no...didn't know there was one...:retard: Sadly, my experience is severely limited. I'll have to try again tomorrow when it's light again.

Hopefully it'll pop right off after I find this screw. I really didn't notice one, but it may be facing 180 degrees down from where I was looking at the rotor. EDIT: just glancing at your illustration, the rotor is in about the exact position in the pic - so, it's probably in a spot where I was least likely to see it....

Thanks!
    Hank

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  5. RonJ

RonJ Banned

You may need to do some quick flicks of the ignition switch to position the screw for removal.