Remove power steering belt in '00 dx?

Jrose152

I owned a 1989 civic hatchback with a b18b swap in it that had no power steering and a 1989 prelude si with a jdm h22a that did not have power steering. I've always preferred the feeling of not having power steering to having it. Can I simply just remove the power steering belt in a stock 2000 dx hatchback and call it a day or do I need to do a full power steering pump delete/line loop/manual rack? I'm not looking to spend any real money on this, I just simply don't want power steering anymore, I don't mind a heavy wheel I just don't want to damage anything. Will I be fine just removing the belt and driving the car this way?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You will be fine but from what I have read a manual rack responds much different than a power rack without a belt

Jrose152

You will be fine but from what I have read a manual rack responds much different than a power rack without a belt
Yeah but the manual rack is a costly mod and I'm really trying to just keep the car stock. I'm just wondering if extended driving with no belt will cause damage of any sort. I know people suggest manual rack>loop but I'm thinking I can just remove the belt only which is free and I don't mind heavy steering.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You can but it will be very difficult to turn the wheel when you are not moving. You will find that having power steering is quite nice. Also I have driven both and you still have the same feedback from the front wheels as you do in a manual rack vehicle.

dancam

Registered VIP
Im not sure if there is a difference but i cant envision it hurting anything. Just try it on a weekend when you have some time. If its not nice then re-install the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrose152

I removed the power steering belt because I think I have a bad tensioner or pulley. I uploaded a video of the issue if anyone can help me out. There is some text in the description and a cellphone might not be loud enough to hear the issue, but the car has been driving fine without power steering.

Last edited:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
some poeple just loop the power steering lines back to the rack itself

jdm h22a had a completely different system it they use ATTS which basically a different form of power steering it makes the steering tighter at higher speed and steering softer at low speed the steering rack has lines to anf rom the unit its attached to the transmission main reason why you didn't really have any power steering the ATTS unit was used in the later model preludes the 5th gen. not to mention they had a inovative tech for its time and its class since some was offered with 4ws( 4 wheel steering)

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Jrose152 , I shortened your essay "Can I simply just remove the power steering belt in a 2000 dx?" into a short title. It was too long to see anything helpful in the side pane or pretty much anywhere on the forum.