removed stock intake reservoir?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok to make a long story short, yesterday i went to install my tuneup parts and alot of stuff went wrong. First 2 bolts snapped in half while i was taking the distributor cap so i tried drilling it out but only put a hole through the alluminum housing, so i have 1 boolt and a zip tie holding it until monday when some1s gonna weld it and retap it for me. Then i tried taking the fuel filter off to replace but coudlnt do it so i just left that alone. Then I accidently dropped a socket wrench down int othe intake reservoir (the big box that sits in the passenger side from bumper), so i took the whole bumper off, unbolted the air box in the bumper and took it out so i could get the tool out. I decided to leave the reservoir out, so now its jut the stock airbox with a K&N drop in filter all on the still stock intake, so basically its the stock intake minus the reservoir in the bumper. My question is will i notice any performance increase with it like this? Its basically a short ram intake now right? I took it out for a testdrive and at lower rpms (less than 2500), if i go WOT i can hear a deep loud noise coming from the intake (sounds cool), so im guessing the intake like this is giong to work better and give me better gas mileage by basically acting like a short ram?

97ek4coupe

Stock & Slow
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've heard that removing the intake resonator (the box behind the bumper) actually lowers some of your low end power, but helps a bit on the high end. Someone back me up on this one??

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure about that.... I think intakes on hondas dont do s**t, they just sound cool at WOT.... the only vehicles I've ever put an intake on and noticed a difference were the mustang and my GMC Duramax diesel.... but to the OP no offense but if you have that much trouble sounds like you should find a friend to help you with ur tuneup ;) saves problems in the long run

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I don't think weak D16 engines (assuming you have that) will gain much HP from an intake. They are more for reliability and gas mileage.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I don't think weak HONDAengines (assuming you have that) will gain much HP from an intake. They are more for reliability and gas mileage.
fixed that for you.. :oh:

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its just noisier thats it, i wouldnt expect gains or losses

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you notice anything, it's all butt dyno. It won't effect a thing but sound.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
without the resonator box and tubing your intake temp is raised slightly, negatively effecting your low end power. on the other hand there is slightly less resistance for air flow raising manifold pressure and positively affecting your high end power. however, the difference is so minuscule your right foot will never be able to tell the difference whether the resonator is on or off, only your ears can...

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not sure about that.... I think intakes on hondas dont do s**t, they just sound cool at WOT.... the only vehicles I've ever put an intake on and noticed a difference were the mustang and my GMC Duramax diesel.... but to the OP no offense but if you have that much trouble sounds like you should find a friend to help you with ur tuneup ;) saves problems in the long run
my theory of what happened with the bolts is that they were seized into the distributor housing, so when i went to take them off, the bolt twised itself inhalf (half of it twisted with the socket wrench and half just stayed seized in the housing). i dont think i could have gotten around it.