Removing tension rods, and adding trunk strut

rebyid

5+ Year Member
In the process of a mod for my subs in my trunk, I ended up popping off one of the "tension rods" for my trunk. These are the twisted torqued rods which hold the trunk in the open position.

Does anyone of any idea of how to get this rod back on? I tried for over an hour trying to twist it back but it requires more force than I can deliver.

So far, I have tried clamps, wrenches, and taking a screwdriver and just trying to torque it.

The only other solution I have yet to try and am still trying to figure out how to do, is to take the other rod off, and add a trunk strut (those little cylinders used to hold up the trunk). I have no clue how to do this either, but if I can't get the rod back on, it's what I'll have to do.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trunk Spring Tool
Genuine Honda Civic spring tool. Assists in removing stock springs and installing new ones that come with trunk spoilers.
All sales of this item are final, no returns for any reason
- Shipping information Availability: Honda's Retail $37.21
our Price $26.80

Seen on this page:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic98.html

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe Honda sells a tool specifically for that because you change them if you add a spoiler

rebyid

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I was flipping out for a little bit there.

Ordered the part.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
There have been posts on other forums about adding gas struts/pistons. I've even got the parts to do it... Just haven't had the time. If I can find the how to, I'll copy and paste...

I've removed the tension rods, and can understand your frustration. Although the tool isn't required to change/remove/replace the rods, it does make it easier. I used two screwdrivers to give me the leverage.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a rear wing on my car. the middle support popped off and now it just rattles with my sub. i dont think ill be able to fully glue it back on can ijust take off my tension rods? will the trunk still open a little bit when i hit the trunk pop?

rebyid

5+ Year Member
Having taken one of the tension rods off, I can speak from experience.

Your trunk will be a b***h to open without those tension rods.

It is better to get some weather stripping foam and stick it anywhere that there is vibrations, at least you will be able to get your trunk open.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe you need both for the trunk to function correctly, or at all for that matter.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damnit the bracket thing int he middle made out of probably the worlds shittiest steel popped off any ideas on what to use to get it back on?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pop it back in? idk...

*hold* while I research.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks liek the welds cracked that held it ill take pics tomorrow and post cause i bet im not the only one with this problem

rebyid

5+ Year Member
sk8shorty017 is correct. Your trunk will pop open without those rods. It will work, you just have to actually try to lift it with your hands.

I know the bracket in the center you are referring to. I'll play around and see if I can think of anything. You could always try making a new one out of some wood or something, bolting it on.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well let me knwo what you think of this.

you knwo how there is a lip between the body of the car and the weather stripping? can't i just remove my tension rods and put a spring in there that is compressed when the trunk is closed but once the latch is released it pops the trunk open. then when this is done i could have a gas strut monted on the trunk bracket arm to hold the trunk open when i wanna keep it open. think that will work?

rebyid

5+ Year Member
I am not sure. A gas strut should be able to pop the trunk open on its own.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i might just converted to a straut strut or two. i saw them on sale at boat us and ill just get one that is used for marine hatches. i had no idea a strut can pop open a compartment.

rebyid

5+ Year Member
yay! Thanks so much sk8shorty017, the trunk spring tool worked perfect. I got my trunk spring back on in maybe 17.3 seconds.

I'll post pics my my trunk mods once they are totally complete. Only one part left.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
grey on 7thgen did a diy on using parts from mcmaster carr to make trunk struts!