Removing the Dash?

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
I used to have a thread at honda tech bookmarked in case I ever needed to remove the dash, and now that I do I notice that the pics are no longer up. Can anyone tell me where the screws on the dash are located or if anyone has that pic, link me up? Thanks!

luis385

5+ Year Member
Take my advice and read over the manual over and over again. Its easy when you have an idea what your looking for. The job is not that bad. Try to be as organized as possible, it will be an easier reinstall. Any questions, feel free to ask. Did this a couple of months back when I changed my heater core.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you took the whole dash off to change your heater core? do you have to do that?

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no you dont, i just did mine a few days ago. the heater core comes in 3 sections. left middle and right. the fan is on the right and i forget whats in the middle and left. but if you only need to replace the fan, just unbolt the dash and unbolt the section and it will come out. it will take some manuvering but it will work.

like i said i just did mine so i know for a fact this is posisble. if you need to do the far right section that sits in the middle of the car, then yes, you do need to take out the dash. but the middle and right will come out with some patience and time. it just as hard if not easier to do this compared to replacing your brake booster.

it helps if you also have your airbag out.

RonJ

Banned
^^^The heater core/unit is a single piece and removing it requires prior removal of the dashboard.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
99-00 which i did not know that was the heater core specified. i have not worked on 99-00. im sure its the same just electric and not manual.
i have a 96 that i will bet $100 bucks it brakes down into 3 peices.

if you have the whole heater core out. look all around, there are black screws with a 8mm wrench sockets. unbolt those and the heater core is in 3 peices.

RonJ

Banned
The 96-98 is virtually identical, with only small differences. Maybe the three pieces you are referring to are from right to left the (1) blower, (2) heater duct, and (3) heater core. Nonetheless, the dashboard needs to be removed in order to take out the heater core.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The 96-98 is virtually identical, with only small differences. Maybe the three pieces you are referring to are from right to left the (1) blower, (2) heater duct, and (3) heater core. Nonetheless, the dashboard needs to be removed in order to take out the heater core.
agreed.

moebiius

5+ Year Member
For more information, download the 96-00 service manual at the links in my signature.

RONJ, can you lend me some knowledge about the "dashboard wire harness"? in the second picture on the bottom right...I would like to know if the LX / EX / SI coupe models are compatible with what i'm trying to do which is to do the power windows and power lock conversion. I have a list going but want to make sure which one the dashboard harness is.....and if you knew that the models with the power windows and locks will work whether it is from an LX, EX, or SI......thanks!

I also have the service manual, so if you know the page where I can get a good close view of this dash wire harness....please point what page its on....my search skills are lacking even though I try, its hard to search when you don't know the words to search for...