Repairing Rust Above Rear Wheels

SuperSaiyanMike

5+ Year Member
MY 93 ex coupe has the dreaded Honda rust above the back tires. Recently, I used Por-15 products on it. The area was cleaned and treated so the rust could not spread anymore. I also removed the ruber weatherstripping, or whatever it is, that slides right off above the wheel.

What is the easiest, most cost effective way, to repair the are to like like new. I know the rusted area needs to be cut out. I also bought some Body Filler and Power Mesh from Por-15 to fill in the area that I cut. Am I going about this the right way?

Any links to a DIY thread would be awesome, thanks.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off, Saiyan's are awesome. Dragon Ball ftw, and second on ebay or www.fixmyrust.com you can order replacement panels for the rear quarter panels. I wouldn't use tons of body filler because over time a large amount of body filler under the exposure of a cold/hot environment will wear it out and it will crack. I'd just use body filler to completely smooth out the surface after welding. Get some sheet metal or order those rust repair panels, measure twice cut once, weld, grind, body filler, prime, paint, wet sand, clear coat.

SuperSaiyanMike

5+ Year Member
DBZ ftw all day. Anyways, that site seems to have some pretty good prices, but it doesnt have the REAR quarter pannel. The rust seems to be contained, but Im afraid there is more underneath.

The Power Mesh is supossed to harden, but I guess this New England climate would eventually crack it.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DBZ ftw all day. Anyways, that site seems to have some pretty good prices, but it doesnt have the REAR quarter pannel. The rust seems to be contained, but Im afraid there is more underneath.

The Power Mesh is supossed to harden, but I guess this New England climate would eventually crack it.
Yeah it will. Post up a pic so we can diagnose the situation.

oh and....

SuperSaiyanMike

5+ Year Member
Ok, here goes, hope i did this right.

If you look closely, you can see a clear glazed finish on top of the rust and around it.
That is the Por-15 rust stopper solution to prevent it from spreading. It was also applied underneath.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ok, here goes, hope i did this right.

If you look closely, you can see a clear glazed finish on top of the rust and around it.
That is the Por-15 rust stopper solution to prevent it from spreading. It was also applied underneath.
You're lucky man.... wait till you see mine lol.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know its not that bad yet, but its deff gotten worse from when I first got it.
Any ideas of what to do?
First off, Saiyan's are awesome. Dragon Ball ftw, and second on ebay or www.fixmyrust.com you can order replacement panels for the rear quarter panels. I wouldn't use tons of body filler because over time a large amount of body filler under the exposure of a cold/hot environment will wear it out and it will crack. I'd just use body filler to completely smooth out the surface after welding. Get some sheet metal or order those rust repair panels, measure twice cut once, weld, grind, body filler, prime, paint, wet sand, clear coat.
;)

SuperSaiyanMike

5+ Year Member
Thats pretty bad. I hate this New England climate.
I like that site you posted civhatch92, I look for the pannels there and go from there.

Ill post progress when I get started.