repairing rusty spots?

Dough

5+ Year Member
Hi guys, i got a rusty spot on the passenger side back door.... whats the best way to fix this and stop the rust from spreading more...

PS: I hate painting, never looks good when i do it (imo)... so i am a total noob at it, some people say touch up paint will work, some say like primer and rust inhibitor... lol i am lost!

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
rust is cancer. only real way to get it out 100% and prevent spreading is to cut it out. but its just a lil surface rust right? i few a spot like that but i just let it go. touch up paint should work if you sand the rust a little bit first.

it'll be a pain in the ass but it should make you feel a little bit better about it

Dough

5+ Year Member
actually here's the worse part, its been there for a few years now... but i never was confident enough to fix it... now i am getting pissed when i see it, its quite noticeable, maybe a 1 cm /half inch blob.... could be a bit more than surface rust by now...

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually here's the worse part, its been there for a few years now... but i never was confident enough to fix it... now i am getting pissed when i see it, its quite noticeable, maybe a 1 cm /half inch blob.... could be a bit more than surface rust by now...
could be worse then you think. grind it down and see if its through the metal.

AllanR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had quarter panel rust on my previous 96 civic. I grinded/sanded it down to bare metal and did a bondo repair job, and within 8 months I could already see slight bubbling occurring. So, your best bet is to get some new metal welded in, if its really bothering you.

Dough

5+ Year Member
salt on roads in winter doesnt help poor maintenance of stone chips!

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:word:
rust is cancer. only real way to get it out 100% and prevent spreading is to cut it out. but its just a lil surface rust right? i few a spot like that but i just let it go. touch up paint should work if you sand the rust a little bit first.

it'll be a pain in the ass but it should make you feel a little bit better about it
:word:

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cut that s**t out and weld in new steel, dont forget to spray some rust converter on there b4 tho, just to be sure