Replace rear struts/coil overs?

arktisvind

I have a 98 Civic cx. It has a lowering kit put on it and the rear struts need to be replaced. I want to fix the problem as cheap as possible. Can I take them out and replace them with cheaper adjustable struts and re-use my springs? Or maybe replace them with stock struts/shocks? I have included a picture of what my rear struts/coil overs look like (the ones on the left and obviously when their not on the vehicle) Any info will help ...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Would help to have the brand and model of the ones on your car. An actual picture might help.

Most companies accept the customer sending the set up to them to rebuild (for a cost of course).

arktisvind

I know their made by Bilstein but can seem to track down the model number. Can I just take these out and replace them with cheap ones from the local auto part store? Or will it make a difference that the car has a lowering kit on it?

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
Since the car is lowered, you want a performance strut matched the spring. Any cheap one you buy will not last very long.

If they are Bilsteins (HDs I think), get them rebuilt. They are worth keeping.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If they are true coil overs like the picture you posted, then no you can't just go buy some cheap crap from the auto parts store as it wouldn't match up. If you have just lowering springs and not a coil over full set, you can get new shocks. Like I said, a real picture would help. I am truly doubting that you have full real coil overs at this point in time.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Like mentioned, it would really help to know what you have. Need to know what coilovers you have, what spring rates and what shocks. It's not a good idea to just throw whatever shock on there, you could even buy the wrong shocks for the coilovers you have any they may not fit.

arktisvind

I took some pictures of the shocks/coil overs now how do I upload them onto this thread? ... I really appreciate the help guys!