Replaced VTEC solenoid gaskets, now I have a CEL

Christopher Gregory

Hello all,

INITIAL PROBLEM:
My 1997 EK9 SI (Canada) has a couple small oil leaks and I'm slowly fixing them one by one, and today was the VTEC solenoid's turn. After a good amount of video tutorials I pulled it out.

PROCEDURE:
It was a straightforward job as I expected, pulled out the old cracked gaskets, cleaned parts with carb. spray, put the new gaskets from the stealership in and put is back together.

NEW PROBLEM:
After bolting it on and plugging everything back in, I started my car and now I have a CEL.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
I checked the solenoid by sticking a wire in the plug and connecting it to the car battery and it does engage.

Took the car out for a quick spin, doesn't feel much different, still revs past 6000 rpm, exhaust smells like its burning oil in the higher rev range, so I take it the VTEC is not kicking in, but I don't see anything incorrect with my procedure that would cause it to stop working. Checked the forums, but I haven't been able to find the exact problem I'm having.

Any ideas? Post a link to a thread if there is one that already covers this. I will be buying an OBD II sensor tomorrow and post the code. Thanks.

Christopher Gregory

FOLLOW UP:
Changed the oil, bought an OBD II sensor and plugged it in yesterday.

CODE:

P1259

RESOLUTION:
The code showed up again this morning, but after work I started my car and it seems that it disappeared. Revved up to the limiter at 7k a couple times, and it hasn't come back. I'll keep an eye on it but so far so good I guess?