Replacement dash bulbs?

simmons

5+ Year Member
hi,

i've noticed that both my:

- speedo bulbs
- general control button (fan etc.) bulbs

are fairly dim, which i presume is down to age. can anyone tell me the bulbs which i need to replace all of these, and even better - instructions on how to do so?

cheers.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

dacat

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I took the bulbs out of my 5th gen civic cluster (made in canada).

i then took a micrometer to the bulb and did some measuring.

the #74 bulbs you see at autozone, oriely's and there rest are SAE #74. Their exists an E #74 (e74) which is a european measured bulb. the difference is that the SAE #74 are 4.9mm wide at the base and the e74 are 4.6mm wide at the base... makes a big difference.

Specificly the american 74s
T1.5 w2.1x4.9d bulbs
the european measured 74s are
T1.5 w2.1(or2.0) x4.6d bulbs

if your looking for replacement bulbs overseas look for T5 w2.1(or2.0) x4.6d.
The difference? in america we the 1.5 is 1.5x(1/8 inches) the rest of the world is metric..so the T5 is 5mm.

The number after the T is the width of the bulb at the round part.

here is a good diagram of the e74. http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/e74.html and if you are looking for a specific part number for e74s
http://www.eiko-ltd.com/Products.aspx?CatID=459&ProductIndex=E74

Oh, the bulbs in my civic are e74s.

Last edited:

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry for jacking thread but I was wondering the same thing on replacing my guage cluster bulbs, on the bulbs the say V-2 :what: i rememeber there was a thread of where i could get the bulbs and i want the si style only no blue or nothing like that, petey pete if your out there help a brotha out

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sorry for jacking thread but I was wondering the same thing on replacing my guage cluster bulbs, on the bulbs the say V-2 :what: i rememeber there was a thread of where i could get the bulbs and i want the si style only no blue or nothing like that, petey pete if your out there help a brotha out
Since you have a 99, sk8shorty just made a thread for the parts that you need man..lemme find it for ya

simmons

5+ Year Member
sorry guys, which are the instructions for a 1998 6th gen civic? dacat seems to have a 5th gen and the rest of this thread is for instructions for 99+ models