Replacement rear shock bolt

upnsmoke

Hi. I am doing rear shocks amongst other things, and as expected the bolts broke off in the bushings. The new shocks come with nuts welded on and I would rather find some replacement bolts than cut the nuts off the new shocks. The bolts are 10mm x 1.25, and I have been unable to locate replacements of any grade higher than 8.8, which is sold in Lowes and the like. I can buy 10 x1.5 bolts in grade 10.9, which is similar to grade 8 english. I am not a fan of the stock Honda bolt, as it obviously rusts and breaks. I was just wondering what everyone was using for replacements and where they get them. I have already tried Mcmaster and MSC, going to try Fastenal tomorrow. I will use bolts from Honda if I need something temporary, not sure I could bring myself to trust the cheap junk in the hardware store. Any help is appreciated.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I ordered some from majestic honda a couple weeks ago but they havnt come yet so I cant tell you how they are

cleanEJ6

Just go to any hardware store or fastener store and get a grade 10 steel bolt of the same length and pitch. THIS TIME, put some copper antisieze on the threads when you put it together. I had to replace pretty much every rear suspension bolt when I rebuilt the coast civic I bought.

upnsmoke

Just go to any hardware store or fastener store and get a grade 10 steel bolt of the same length and pitch. THIS TIME, put some copper antisieze on the threads when you put it together. I had to replace pretty much every rear suspension bolt when I rebuilt the coast civic I bought.
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a grade 10 bolt. The metric bolts I have seen go 8.8, 10.9, 12.9. There are metric grade 10 nuts, which are the same as a grade 10.9 bolt, both of which are comparable to standard grade 8. The only metric bolts I have been able to find in our hardware stores are grade 8.8, which is comparable to grade 5 standard. I am a big fan of the copper anti seize for threads, and I usually have good luck with wheel bearing grease for shoulders on bolts or other metal to metal parts. On our car, the only stock Honda hardware that actually seized bad enough to break seized inside the inner bushing shells, not inside the threaded portions. I have separate nuts and remnants of broken bolts to prove this. I too have had to replace most of our suspension bolts. I was able to purchase grade 10.9 bolts for everything except the shocks. The bolts that connect the trailing arm to the lower arm are the same diameter, length, and thread as the shock bolts. I bought 10x1.5 nuts and bolts for those, as I cut the round nuts off of the arms, and I have some left over. At this point, if fastenal does not have something, and my local Honda doesn't have something in stock, I believe my best option is to cut the nuts off our new shocks and just nut and bolt them with the fasteners I already have.

Logan, if I was waiting two weeks for two bolts I would be wanting to wring someone's neck.