Replacement stopper for 2000 Civic clutch switch (Do not want to bypass)

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, the blue stopper that my clutch switch uses that lets me start the car has rotten away. However, what are you guys doing to replace this? I want to keep it functioning the way it is intended. I DO NOT want to bypass it.

I was thinking of glueing a coin or something, but i cant seem to get my fingers in there to place it.

Any help would be great.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well, my clutch switch that lets me start the car has rotted away in my civic. However, what are you guys doing to replace this? I want to keep it functioning the way it is intended. I DO NOT want to bypass it.

I was thinking of glueing a coin or something, but i cant seem to get my fingers in there to place it.

Any help would be great.
I was able to cut/slice/solder he wires together under there, and Im 6'3 240lbs. I did take out the seat though to lay flat.

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That would bypass the clutch switch right?

Im trying to just keep, so my fiancee doesnt leave the car in gear and try to start it.

I wrote it out wrong in the first post...

There is a blue rubber stopper thats on the tab that pushes the switch when the clutch is pressed in. That has rotted away now and there is a hole there. I want to replace that or rig something that keeps this functioning.

Trekk

Registered VIP
You can go to Honda and buy a new plug or, you can rig in a nut and bolt but you will need to readjust the switch a little since the head on the bolt will be thicker then the plug.

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was thinking that, but how do i get up past the pedal assembly?

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
going off no experience just my knowledge. go to honda and get the stopper it will have a part number on the internet somewhere. remove seat and if enough room is still not available you can remove pedal assembly as well and have all room you need. then put blue stopper in and reverse all steps. no need to jimmy rig it if you are wanting to stay oem on reliability.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
AM going from experience, have had to replace 2 times on my 92. It's a b***h replacing with the pedal in, but can be done. I haven't chnged it on the 99, but assume same design as the 92. Do yourself a favor and remove the driver seat, if you're going to do it with the pedal in the car. I had to basically look at the pedal, memorize what it looks like, then just go by feel when I put it in. Might be easier to take the pedal out of the car, as scarhead92 suggested, but I've not gone that route before. Also, if you only want to do it once, go ahead and by the plug new from Honda. Not that expensive, and better than putting a used one from a junkyard in first and having it break. (trust me, you don't want to do it again)

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
went in easy, nothing removed and nothing taked out...used a screw driver and some velcro...plus a little shoo goo to hold it. I attached it to the screw driver using velcro, the shoo goo held it in the hole long enough for me to stick my thumb and pop it in...took about 10mins and 4-5 tries.

Thanks for the help guys...almost bought a new damn starter and all.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good job! wish I'd thought of using something to hold the plug onto a stick/screwdriver. I've got big hands, so that didn't exactly help me