Replacements for Catalytic converter '04 civic EX 5MT

campj

So I have a civic EX 5-speed manual transmission sedan. I have tried to keep up with maintenance for the most part but recently I failed to replace my air/fuel sensor (upstream) on time and it caused my catalytic converter to go bad before its time. So I'm looking to replace the converter (sensor has been replaced already).

However, I would really appreciate some opinions and hopefully some based on experience for an OEM replacement and an aftermarket replacement made by Evan Fischer model series:Eastern Catalytic.

Has anyone tried that aftermarket brand for their exhaust system or at least other parts from that manufacturer? What has been the experience for you guys who have used aftermarket cats after replacing the OEM one?

My main concern is mostly to replace my old cat with the same or similar cat that will do the same job without causing any issues on my car. Of course, I would like to buy a reasonably priced cat as well. Btw, my Honda has 230k miles, in FL, and I'm looking to keep it until the end of 2015 at least.

Here are the links for references to the ones I saw:
Evan Fischer
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Honda/Civic/Eastern/Catalytic_Converter/2004/EX/4_Cyl_1-dot-7L/EAST40399.html

Honda OEM
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda/civic-sedan/18160plra00/2004-year/ex-trim/5-speed-manual-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/exhaust-pipe-muffler-scat/?part_name=converter

Last edited:

Tyler K

Do What I did. Mine wasn't bad I just wanted more out of my civic. Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat. It aint cheap but it will be a direct fit IF you buy the "direct fit" one which is what I got.

campj

Do What I did. Mine wasn't bad I just wanted more out of my civic. Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat. It aint cheap but it will be a direct fit IF you buy the "direct fit" one which is what I got.
Thanks Tyler. I actually did look at several aftermarket ones including the Magnaflow Hi Flow one. If my OEM Cat had gone bad much sooner than 230k miles on it, I probably would've taken that one into consideration. At this rate though, I'm taking a wager on a Walker ultra direct fit. Which is supposedly their high end one for OEM replacements. Hope this replacement lasts about or more than the 5yrs it warranties. If not then I'll take it to Autozone for a replacement or refund. I got it online from their website and they had a discount code for online orders when I bought it.

How is your Cat converter performing so far? Any issues like troublecodes or CEL? Any restrictions on performance?

Tyler K

No issues what so ever. Installment was easy enough, no check engine lights have come on for it or the O2 sensor, far from restrictions if anything maybe a 3-4 hp gain. The only thing I don't like is if I floor it or accelerate fast in any matter it has a slight "gurgling" sound. As I said though no issues what so ever.

campj

No issues what so ever. Installment was easy enough, no check engine lights have come on for it or the O2 sensor, far from restrictions if anything maybe a 3-4 hp gain. The only thing I don't like is if I floor it or accelerate fast in any matter it has a slight "gurgling" sound. As I said though no issues what so ever.
Great to hear, I barely get aftermarket parts for large service jobs or critical parts on my car so this is definitely reassuring. Thanks for the feedback Tyler!

Tyler K

No prob always remember after market may be exactly that, but the cheaper the brand cheaper the product. That goes for anything both performance and visual.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cheap Cats will burn out alot faster.. but theres good news!

YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA theres no inspection. If it were me, Id just use a test pipe and CEL eliminator on the sensor.

Cost of parts- 50 bucks
Problem - solved

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also good news if you live in florida you can knock up your daughter and she can only get consent for abortion from her mother. as for the cat anything after market will not last and you will be screwed in the long run just like the daughter.