Replacing 01 Civic Head Gasket. Easy as EK's?!?

jermo537

5+ Year Member
Whats up fellas!

I do mechanic work at my house as a hobby and have changed many 92-95 and 96-00 civic head gaskets, they are pretty easy. I have an 01 civic EX and it seems to be a bit different. With the EK's i can just loosen the bolt on the tensioner, pull up on the timing belt and slip the timing belt off the cam. Doesn't seem like i can do the same with an 01 is that correct? The timing belt, water pump and tensioner were replaced recently so i am trying not to touch those, just slip the timing belt off the cam and go about changing the head gasket like i would an ek. Just making sure if this is or is not possible and if i absolutely have to remove everything just to get the head off?!? Thanks!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you look through the service manual for removing / installing the timing belt?

To take the head off, the timing belt needs to come off of the cam. You can TRY and slip it off and slip it back on, but I don't think you'll have much luck here without messing something off. You need to let the tension off the belt so you can properly remove the head and not damage anything. Putting it back on, you'll need to make sure the timing is perfect.

Why wasn't the head gasket replaced when the timing belt was being changed? Would have saved a lot of time and agony having to undo all of the work of putting the new timing belt on.