researching gsr and ctr. help/info?

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Hello c.c.
I am still to this day researching the difference between the ctr swap and the gsr swap. I love both. I have bookmarked some pages for reference but im still not sure. I have a decent price range, however im not looking to do a k, h, f, or j swap.
I daily drive my car about 250mi a week. Needless to say I need the reliability, i know they are both honda products so they will be, but is one more reliable than the other? I plan to just do basic boltons I/H/E maybe valvetrain and a tune for sure. Most of my drive is highway so which would be a better set up for hw driving? I will be buying the full swap from hmotorsonline so I really cant mix and match to much because i need the car to be done soon, not in months and months of sourcing parts.
One last thing, I will be making sure that no matter what swap i get that it is OBD2 because i dont have time to f*** around with the wiring and other bs that follows. Hmotorsonline sends axles,ecu, and what i believe is everything needed. But im still not 100% sure on what else il need.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to read my post and for your input.
=)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It all comes down to money! Theyre both great swaps especially for u just doing bolt ons.

I would go gsr though if i were u...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Yeah money isnt much of an issue. I just want a swap that will keep up with my buddies 8th gen si. Which will last longer if i continue to love my car and maintain it with good replacement stuff. And why would you recommend the gsr over the ctr?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i was going off of price, but if price isnt an option, i would love a b16b!

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Yeah on hmotorsonline, for the complete changeover for both, the gsr is 3300 and the ctr is 3600. Not a huge difference if you ask me. Do you have any idea on the final drive of the gsr tranny and the ctr tranny? Which would be better for the highway?
Just for my own info, would either of these be able to beat my friends 2011 si with boltons and hondata? BTW the swap will be going in my ej8.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know specifics, but i can almost guarantee the b18 has a longer final drive the the b16...

CO671

Registered VIP
You can also try to build a LS/vtec, all LS, or vtec motor from the block up to get some great N/A power instead of dropping in a stock dual cam.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
You can also try to build a LS/vtec, all LS, or vtec motor from the block up to get some great N/A power instead of dropping in a stock dual cam.
I can't do this as an option because i don't have the time to complete it. I need the full swap. Thanks for the idea though il keep it in mind.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B16b is the ultimate bling imo!

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
B16b is the ultimate bling imo!

Oh heeeeell yeah it is. I know absolutely noooo one around where i live that has one. They all have n/a b20s for some reason. Must be because the associate the highest number with the highest hp. idiots lmao.
Id be afraid to show it off though. I dont want it to get stolen.... -.-

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
I suppose i could do the b16b and see how the tranny gearing is... then if i dont like it, save for a new gearset or something. Im not to sure... o.O

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
^ hahahaha true, I plan on getting lojack when i do the swap anyway. a better method

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the b16b is awesome and with na bolt ons will make the same power as a 1.8L. The engine block and parts has a lot of little differences over a b16a and would be worth having down the road, collectability or resale imo. Just the intake manifold off it gives decent gains to a b16a and the rev limiter is higher. Final drive would probably not be as great on the highway, 4k rpms or just over at 70mph. That is the trade off for being able to wizz through the first few gears. You wouldn't be disappointed if your hp goals and short term car goals stay in line with NA. The price is pretty fair too.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
the b16b is awesome and with na bolt ons will make the same power as a 1.8L. The engine block and parts has a lot of little differences over a b16a and would be worth having down the road, collectability or resale imo. Just the intake manifold off it gives decent gains to a b16a and the rev limiter is higher. Final drive would probably not be as great on the highway, 4k rpms or just over at 70mph. That is the trade off for being able to wizz through the first few gears. You wouldn't be disappointed if your hp goals and short term car goals stay in line with NA. The price is pretty fair too.
Thanks for the input! What should i do then, because out of the 250mi a week, about 200 of them are all unavoidable highway miles. Will it hurt the car being at 4k for at least 2 hours a day? I saw a youtube video of the rpms being at 4200rpms at 80mph just cruising.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya, what he said...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cruising at that rpm wont hurt anything but gas mileage unless ur romping on it!

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Cruising at that rpm wont hurt anything but gas mileage unless ur romping on it!

I carpool with my buddy in his 2011 si and at 80-85 he is at around 4k too and he gets 29mpg... with I/H/E, hondata, and throttle body spacer.... will i see at least 25mpg? ya think?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol i sure would hope so...