resetting computer? jumpy idle...

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i tried changing the idle up to stop this but it still happens..:(...ok here i go

car: 1991 honda civic hatch 1.6L DOHC

my idle dies when im driving and push the clutch in, only sometimes, but it sometimes just drops all the way down and my car shuts off and if im at a stop it wont start with the key it just keeps turning over...

any suggestion to why my car won't make a "hot-start" i guess i could say.... its like when i pump gas i try to start my car after pumping and it just turns over without starting up i have to wait til the engine cools down and it starts....:?::?::?:

my temp. guage never hardly moves off completely cold usless the engine is warm and im sitting a stop light...but it quickly goes back down after i start moving. :shock:

im thinking:
-can the thermostat be stuck open and would this make my idle all messed up?
-i've heard that you can have a hose somewhere undone that would cause this? (to the tb of course)
-computer reset, help???? how to?
-could a shot of carb and choke cleaner in the intake clean it out a bit?

thanks for help if you guys can help.... love to drive it but its much more unreliable with these 2 problems....and 15 mpg in the camaro blows....lol :roll:

thanks in advance!

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yeah and another solution i just thought of for the jumpy idle maybe a o2 sensor?

Civvy4Life

5+ Year Member
Check the main relay i had the same thing, my car wouldnt start when it was warm and it idled all the way down to zero at stop lights unless i revved the engine. The main fuel relay is a pretty expensive piece of hardware so depending on how much longer u want to keep this car you can either get a new one or get a used one i went with new cuz its a big pain in the ass to replace heres a website on how to uninstall it. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check the main relay i had the same thing, my car wouldnt start when it was warm and it idled all the way down to zero at stop lights unless i revved the engine. The main fuel relay is a pretty expensive piece of hardware so depending on how much longer u want to keep this car you can either get a new one or get a used one i went with new cuz its a big pain in the ass to replace heres a website on how to uninstall it. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
so how much would it be>?

Civvy4Life

5+ Year Member
mine brand new was $95 cad. but the problem went away so it was worth it. To make sure it is the main relay go to your ecu and count how many times the red light blinks, if its 16 which indicates fuel injector problem then its most likely ur main relay.

lscrxsi

5+ Year Member
jumpy idle could ba the valve that runs to the small hoses on the coolant lines you take it apart and tighten the plastic clip inside it ....if its a 1.6 dohc it should be located under the throttle body or somewhere in that area

i had the main relay go out on my crx with a b18 and the relay would click under the dash and it would start when it wanted to

Last edited by a moderator:

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
jumpy idle could ba the valve that runs to the small hoses on the coolant lines you take it apart and tighten the plastic clip inside it ....if its a 1.6 dohc it should be located under the throttle body or somewhere in that area
would you be able to get a picture of what im looking for exactly?

i had the main relay go out on my crx with a b18 and the relay would click under the dash and it would start when it wanted to
but mine always starts from cold but it doesn't once it warms up until it cools down like when i pump gas its to soon and never starts.... its so unpredictable.... i hate it

any other suggestions people?

thanks for the imput so far!

oh yeah and i dont hear any clicking it just turns over and trys to start but it just sounds like something isn't catching or clicking i mean??

Last edited by a moderator:

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok there is a wire that is attached to the little cylinder thing on the back of the throttle body and when i move them my idle jumps around??? i used electrical tape and taped it up and taped it to something and it stays pretty constant now?? still doesn't start from a hot start i guess you could say??? any suggestions on that besides main relay?

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok there is a wire that is attached to the little cylinder thing on the back of the throttle body and when i move them my idle jumps around??? i used electrical tape and taped it up and taped it to something and it stays pretty constant now?? still doesn't start from a hot start i guess you could say??? any suggestions on that besides main relay?
not starting when hot could also be a bad igniter in the distributor

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a little im just lost with this car i didn't swap it im just trying to learn sorry guys but thanks everyone for your help. i did change the distributor but why wouldn't it do what it does when its warm when its cold. it always starts right up in the cold....

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a little im just lost with this car i didn't swap it im just trying to learn sorry guys but thanks everyone for your help. i did change the distributor but why wouldn't it do what it does when its warm when its cold. it always starts right up in the cold....
its a common problem actually

farmboy7

5+ Year Member
dude its not your distributor 100% its not...you know that thing you stuck your finger into....that is near your throttle body....this messag is a little late i know....its a cold start idle control valve...when your coolent is cold it opens to create a fast idle and when its warm it closes...when they wear out they open and close off and on and screw up your proper idle....bassically they do exactly what you explained....you either need to replace that or it may also be your throatle body sensor....its the electronic sensor right beside the cold start idle control valve. it could be either but my bet is that its the ilde valve....good luck =) if you need more info email me farmboy7@telus.net

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude its not your distributor 100% its not...you know that thing you stuck your finger into....that is near your throttle body....this messag is a little late i know....its a cold start idle control valve...when your coolent is cold it opens to create a fast idle and when its warm it closes...when they wear out they open and close off and on and screw up your proper idle....bassically they do exactly what you explained....you either need to replace that or it may also be your throatle body sensor....its the electronic sensor right beside the cold start idle control valve. it could be either but my bet is that its the ilde valve....good luck =) if you need more info email me farmboy7@telus.net
its not to late but this is my current question on the back of the throtle body there is this little cylinder thing attached??? not sure what that is called and there are 2 wires coming out the left of it???? anyone know what this is when i move it around it makes my idle all gay.... but i put it in one spot and taped it there and it runs mostly ok now??? any help on this