Reverse lights won't turn on.

Meza808

so I noticed the other day that my reverse light do not work, but all the other lights work except for the reverse once, any idea why this is happening?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Auto or manual?

Did you check the fuses first? Fuse 19 under the dash I believe.

Can also be reverse sensor on the tranny IIRC.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Would help to know what you are working on.

Meza808

Auto or manual?

Did you check the fuses first? Fuse 19 under the dash I believe.

Can also be reverse sensor on the tranny IIRC.
Manual and Yeah, on fuse 19 it's like the fuse itself but with a wire connected to it that seems to go to the transmission I'm not really sure.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And you're SURE that fuse is good? Follow that wire to the trans, or wherever it goes. There may be an inline fuse that's blown, or the wire could be damaged. It sounds like that wire may be going to the reverse switch on the trans.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The switch is screwed into the transmission. On my LS its on the underside. The plug for it rests on a holder attached to one of the trans bolts underneath the exhaust camshaft. (Again. That's on my LS. May be different for you) Make sure that is threaded in all the way and the connector is good as well as the wiring in the harness. Get a wiring diagram and find which wire is the power wire and see if you get voltage to the switch.

Meza808

And you're SURE that fuse is good? Follow that wire to the trans, or wherever it goes. There may be an inline fuse that's blown, or the wire could be damaged. It sounds like that wire may be going to the reverse switch on the trans.
see this is what's on fuse 19 it's the red wire.

Attachments

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is rigged and it most likely the culprit. My guess is there is an inline fuse that is blown or the wire is shorted out on the way to the trans.

When making a thread, please include the car information. Without the proper knowledge of what vehicle you are working on, you only get stipulations and guesses which don't help anyone. In cases like this one, a picture from the get go would have been nice as we aren't working with a factory set up here.