Revs fluctuate, lights flicker, car dies out

Cupid22

I have a 97 Honda Civic LX. As I'm driving, the dash lights will all of a sudden start flickering, and dimming in and out. The check engine light comes on, and is still on. The revs will fluctuate, as I'm going a constant speed or accelerate, the revs will shoot up and down. The car does this off and on for a good 20-25 minutes until finally dying out. If anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix, please help me.
Thanks, all help appreciated.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
does it have trouble starting or is this just after you have been driving for awhile

Gunner

Registered VIP
start by pulling your code..find out what the check engine light is tell you. It could be a lot of things at this point so start with the light. =) dying while driving would lead you to check your alternator and battery system also.

Gunner

Registered VIP
What is the code for? still could be several things.. sensor could be bad, computer, ignition system..etc.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
definitely pull the code, but you can also check the ground on your negative terminal off your battery, and make sure your alternator is properly grounded.

Cupid22

ok, just did the code checking and I got 5 codes

17- VSS Speed Sensor
20 - Electrical Load Detector
41- Primary Oxygen Sensor Heater
65- Secondary oxygen sensor heater wire (black wires)
67- Cat Converter

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, I can find you the speed sensor for 15 buck on eBay though. Autozone wants 90.
I just replaced mine and thankfully its an easy fix, this wasn't the case in mine but I read that the speed sensor gone bad can mess up all type of stuff, (inaccurate shift points, etc.)

Cupid22

Ok, quick update...
Fuse 15 was surprisingly not blown...but I did discover there was an exposed wire behind the Intake Manifold Bracket. I taped it up, and the VSS and Cat Converter code went away...

I'm only left with the ELD, and the 2 Oxygen sensors
20, 41, and 65...I'll be replacing the the 2 Sensors, and see what happens afterwards...
another note, the Speedometer is still not working

RonJ

Banned
Test installed fuse 15 for voltage at both top test tabs with the key in ON(II). Click on the Fuses link in my signature.