1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Revs fluctuate, lights flicker, car dies out

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by Cupid22, Jun 20, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Cupid22

Cupid22 New Member

I have a 97 Honda Civic LX. As I'm driving, the dash lights will all of a sudden start flickering, and dimming in and out. The check engine light comes on, and is still on. The revs will fluctuate, as I'm going a constant speed or accelerate, the revs will shoot up and down. The car does this off and on for a good 20-25 minutes until finally dying out. If anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix, please help me.
    Thanks, all help appreciated.

2. Blood_Shot

Blood_Shot Banned Registered VIP

does it have trouble starting or is this just after you have been driving for awhile

3. Gunner

Gunner New Member Registered VIP

start by pulling your code..find out what the check engine light is tell you. It could be a lot of things at this point so start with the light. =) dying while driving would lead you to check your alternator and battery system also.

4. Cupid22

Cupid22 New Member

Alternator has just been changed.

5. Cupid22

Cupid22 New Member

It starts, and then will either act up early into the drive or after a while..

6. Gunner

Gunner New Member Registered VIP

What is the code for? still could be several things.. sensor could be bad, computer, ignition system..etc.

7. civic209

civic209 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Need code.

8. young_

young_ out on bail Staff Member Registered VIP

definitely pull the code, but you can also check the ground on your negative terminal off your battery, and make sure your alternator is properly grounded.

9. Cupid22

Cupid22 New Member

ok, just did the code checking and I got 5 codes

17- VSS Speed Sensor
    20 - Electrical Load Detector
    41- Primary Oxygen Sensor Heater
    65- Secondary oxygen sensor heater wire (black wires)
    67- Cat Converter

10. young_

young_ out on bail Staff Member Registered VIP

Damn, I can find you the speed sensor for 15 buck on eBay though. Autozone wants 90.
    I just replaced mine and thankfully its an easy fix, this wasn't the case in mine but I read that the speed sensor gone bad can mess up all type of stuff, (inaccurate shift points, etc.)

11. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Is 7.5A dash fuse 15 blown? If so, click the fuse 15 TSB in my signature.

12. mikemo

mikemo New Member 5+ Year Member

check engine ground also had most of same issues with my civic

13. Cupid22

Cupid22 New Member

Ok, quick update...
    Fuse 15 was surprisingly not blown...but I did discover there was an exposed wire behind the Intake Manifold Bracket. I taped it up, and the VSS and Cat Converter code went away...

I'm only left with the ELD, and the 2 Oxygen sensors
    20, 41, and 65...I'll be replacing the the 2 Sensors, and see what happens afterwards...
    another note, the Speedometer is still not working

14. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Test installed fuse 15 for voltage at both top test tabs with the key in ON(II). Click on the Fuses link in my signature.