Right Front LCA Bolt wont come out...

jar25201

I bought a used control arm to replace my bent front right lca and can not get the broken bolt with splines on it to come out of the sub-frame/2nd lca piece. Its the bolt on the ball joint end.

Is there a special "right" way to remove these? Are the bolts heated and pressed though? If I can get it out should i use a regular bolt replacement or go to Honda and try and get a oem bolt replacement?

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bfh will helpout.(aka) big f**king hammer

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you talking about getting the castle nut off of the ball joint or separating the ball joint from the lower control arm?

To get the castle nut off, impact gun works best. Other wise, jack the hub up so it puts pressure on the ball joint to keep it from spinning then remove the nut.

If the ball joint is stuck to the arm, the best thing is to rent a ball joint separator from a local parts store. Don't get the pickle fork type, they can tear the ball joint boot. If you can't get a separator, then jack the hub up to apply pressure on the balll joint and hit the control arm right under the ball joint with a nice, heavy dead blow soft faced hammer.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you got the nut off and you're trying to remove the stud? Why?

I'm not sure but I believe those studs are integrated into the control arm. I don't think you can replace them and I'm almost certain Honda doesn't sell the stud.

jar25201

yea, the bolt broke hence why i was trying to replace it. I just went and bought a whole assembly this time. pick your battles... this one won!