Rust under seats

NicoGar

I've recently bought a Civic 2012 EX 32K miles and found rust under the seats. Is this a common thing on Civic or should I assume that car has been flooded?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yikes... thats not a good sign. Did you run a CarFax before picking up the car? Clean title and all?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I mean is it a little rust, like on the bolts that hold the seat to the rails, or is it very rusted. It's possible that someone just spilled something that managed to land on the rails and was never cleaned up properly. If you pull back the carpet a bit, does it look like there was any major water damage?

NicoGar

I mean is it a little rust, like on the bolts that hold the seat to the rails, or is it very rusted. It's possible that someone just spilled something that managed to land on the rails and was never cleaned up properly. If you pull back the carpet a bit, does it look like there was any major water damage?
Please see the link below for a video. The other thought is that it could get rust by getting wet and salty by snow on boots...?
https://goo.gl/photos/JJntHbRkXFxdUMjG9

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hmmm.. that is kind of odd. Though that's probably unfinished metal so it's suspect to rusting pretty easily. Do you notice anything else that could point to signs of a previously flooded car? If you remove the back seat near the fuel pump how does it look under there? I've never seen a flood damaged car in person so I really couldn't tell you for sure. If it's just the seats that are rusty like that though, I wouldn't worry too much.