Safe to head and cam my motor?

awright3331

My motor has 269,000 miles on it now. I have planned since before buying it to put a LS/VTEC head on it and put a stage2 cam in it with some skunk2 cam gears. As well as upgrade the pistons, now i know if i put to much on the top end, it could potentially all blow out the bottom end. When i do this i plan to completely rebuild the motor (Ive done it before to a chevy but it had 90,000 on it) with new higher grade parts and such. but is it safe to put the head and cam in it before rebuilding the motor?

Jabes

5+ Year Member
you're probably going to blow the bottom end if you don't rebuild it first, think about it if it was running for that long and then all the sudden you put more hp behind it your going to probably spin the already worn out bearings and the rings are gonna take some abuse too. I'd just get it bored and put a set of new pistons, rings, main, rod and clevite bearings in it and do some arp rod bolts on the stock ls rods to make sure it will be able to hold up to the extra hp. Or you could find a lower mileage block and throw a set of arp rod bolts in it and then throw the head on that.