SBB V33.02 Immobilizer

dabatman99

Anybody know if I can use one of these (from ebay) to reprogram the new (used) ecu that I got from a junkyard to fit my 2005 honda civic?

dancam

Registered VIP
Post a direct link to what your thinking of and im sure some of us will check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Ok, i have never used one, hopefully someone else here has.
I just have 2 thoughts about it: seems a bit cheap for a device that would easily let you steal 'unstealable' cars. I think a lot more people would have them as it costs just as much as programming one key at a dealership. Are they illegal to own?
And i didnt see honda on the quick list of vehicles it works on. I started to download the complete list but it looked sketchy so i stopped. As long as your sure it will work on your car and its not illegal.
Try a google search. Enter '-name of product- doesn't work' and try '-name of product- works' and see what you get. Check into the legality as well.

dabatman99

I understand your concerns about it being illegal and it possibly being a device "that would easily let you steal 'unstealable' cars". I should clarify a few things. I bought my car a few weeks ago from a guy who didn't know much about it, or anything much about cars in general. The car had a miss in it (like it was missing on one cylinder), and I found that to be a faulty coil pack. I cleared the faults and the car ran smooth again. Shortly after I was getting a P0135 code (o2 sensor heater fault). I replaced it with a new DENSO sensor (the correct one for the 2005 civic lx). The problem was still happening. I began researching on various civic forums and tried to figure out what the problem could be. I found out that the 2001 to 2003 civics used a narrow band O2 sensor and was a different setup than my 2005 civic lx (as it uses a wideband sensor, complete with relay etc.). I then began to think that maybe somebody might have changed the ECU. Upon removing the ECU, I confirmed that someone did in fact change the ECU and that it was from a 2003 civic! I wanted my car to work properly and get the best fuel mileage, so I decided to buy an ECU from a junk yard. I was able to find one for 100.00. Now from my understanding, the ECU needs to be programmed to accept my keys, as I haven't changed any of that stuff. I called the dealership and they said they could do it for about 90.00 plus tax; however, they are 100kms away from me, and if I can find a tool that I can use for my own personal use, then I'd rather do that instead of giving money to a dealership every time I have an issue with an ECU, or ignition switch etc. It seems that everywhere I go, somebody is always taking my money, whether its the government or the "stealerships". To be honest, what I'm doing here is using what I've bought and paid for with my own money and trying to make it work, but if I have to, I will go to the "Stealership" and give them a bunch of money so they can hit a few buttons and make everything good to go. I was just hoping somebody out there could help me out. I'd appreciate it.

dancam

Registered VIP
I understand your concerns about it being illegal and it possibly being a device "that would easily let you steal 'unstealable' cars". I should clarify a few things. I bought my car a few weeks ago from a guy who didn't know much about it, or anything much about cars in general. The car had a miss in it (like it was missing on one cylinder), and I found that to be a faulty coil pack. I cleared the faults and the car ran smooth again. Shortly after I was getting a P0135 code (o2 sensor heater fault). I replaced it with a new DENSO sensor (the correct one for the 2005 civic lx). The problem was still happening. I began researching on various civic forums and tried to figure out what the problem could be. I found out that the 2001 to 2003 civics used a narrow band O2 sensor and was a different setup than my 2005 civic lx (as it uses a wideband sensor, complete with relay etc.). I then began to think that maybe somebody might have changed the ECU. Upon removing the ECU, I confirmed that someone did in fact change the ECU and that it was from a 2003 civic! I wanted my car to work properly and get the best fuel mileage, so I decided to buy an ECU from a junk yard. I was able to find one for 100.00. Now from my understanding, the ECU needs to be programmed to accept my keys, as I haven't changed any of that stuff. I called the dealership and they said they could do it for about 90.00 plus tax; however, they are 100kms away from me, and if I can find a tool that I can use for my own personal use, then I'd rather do that instead of giving money to a dealership every time I have an issue with an ECU, or ignition switch etc. It seems that everywhere I go, somebody is always taking my money, whether its the government or the "stealerships". To be honest, what I'm doing here is using what I've bought and paid for with my own money and trying to make it work, but if I have to, I will go to the "Stealership" and give them a bunch of money so they can hit a few buttons and make everything good to go. I was just hoping somebody out there could help me out. I'd appreciate it.
Ok, tough luck with the cars ecu :/
I drive 120km every day for work so im not too sympathetic on that part but i understand not wanting to get ripped off by a dealership. You could try calling more local reputable locksmiths. I had issues with my keys a while back and the dealership cut me a new key that only opened one door and was super rough. They wouldn't try to cut it better so i went to a locksmith and got another key cut and chipped, it worked perfect and they fixed the honda key so it worked in all the doors all for cheaper than what the dealer charged. Took him a decent amount of time to fix the honda key too.
Anyway, i was just concerned that you may not want to own one of these things if its not legal for you to have, not that you would go around stealing cars. :p for example its fine for tow truck drivers or mechanic shops to have the tools to pick locks but if say i worked at a shop and took some of them home because i locked my keys in a car and i got pulled over thats a $20,000 fine as of 8 years ago. Not worth the risk to me.

dabatman99

well, I called the dealership, and booked an appointment for Wednesday. I'll see how it goes. There is also a recall on the airbags that they are going to do. I wasn't getting any feedback on the key programmer, so I too was a bit eerie about it, so I decided to pass. I know that the chinese equipment, is often very useful, and sometimes worthless, and it was a chance not worth the investment. Hopefully I can get this ECU flashed and running with the O2 sensor working and the EGR system working again. I just want it all back to original. This is my second civic I've had, and I sold my first to my son. He needed a reliable car to get to work, and although my car had alot of kms on it, it was still bulletproof. I've put alot of time, money, and maintenance into it as I too commute over 200kms (round trip) a day in travel with it. My first civic was excellent on gas getting me up to 39mpgUS highway. I found this other civic and it is an LX with few more options than the previous. I'm working my way through the newer civic fixing things as I go. I need a car to be reliable. I would have gone with a TDI jetta, as they are more fuel efficient, but I feel in the long run if you run into any serious maintenance (ie fuel pump etc), then that defeats the purpose of the extra fuel economy. I find parts are a bit more expensive online for the VW as well. Civic has been the #1 car in canada for 18 years now. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you up to date to let you know how I make out.

dancam

Registered VIP
well, I called the dealership, and booked an appointment for Wednesday. I'll see how it goes. There is also a recall on the airbags that they are going to do. I wasn't getting any feedback on the key programmer, so I too was a bit eerie about it, so I decided to pass. I know that the chinese equipment, is often very useful, and sometimes worthless, and it was a chance not worth the investment. Hopefully I can get this ECU flashed and running with the O2 sensor working and the EGR system working again. I just want it all back to original. This is my second civic I've had, and I sold my first to my son. He needed a reliable car to get to work, and although my car had alot of kms on it, it was still bulletproof. I've put alot of time, money, and maintenance into it as I too commute over 200kms (round trip) a day in travel with it. My first civic was excellent on gas getting me up to 39mpgUS highway. I found this other civic and it is an LX with few more options than the previous. I'm working my way through the newer civic fixing things as I go. I need a car to be reliable. I would have gone with a TDI jetta, as they are more fuel efficient, but I feel in the long run if you run into any serious maintenance (ie fuel pump etc), then that defeats the purpose of the extra fuel economy. I find parts are a bit more expensive online for the VW as well. Civic has been the #1 car in canada for 18 years now. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you up to date to let you know how I make out.
Ok, ya that airbag recall is probably something you want to do... After what is it, 5 years? My local dealer finally has parts so im going to get mine done next week i think. Its too bad no one else had advice but i have never heard of an individual owning one. If you couldn't find anything on a google search then its probably not a safe investment. I cant see it working well for how cheap it is. But when your at the dealership you could ask if they have heard of that brand or type. Probably not the guy at the counter but if you get to see the guy doing the work they might know more.
I also have found these 7th gen civics to be quite a bit of work and money to maintain. Quite annoying actually but they are good on gas for the size of car and we drive it a lot...
Good choice probably on the civic over the jetta. Ive worked in mechanic and autobody shops since 2009 and if you just go by average overall for each brand volkswagen and audi are by far the most annoying to work on. Other brands may have one or 2 vehicles that suck or a few major design flaws that beat a specific vw or audi but overall they are just a major pain. German engineering isn't all its cracked up to be. And of course parts can be more expensive but other manufacturers have caught up in that regard. Diesel engines are more efficient but in the short long run they cost about the same as maintenance costs are higher. They usually last a lot longer if taken care of but were talking 1 million miles instead of 600k, most people dont make it to either. Also here diesel fuel cost more than gasoline for quite some time.
But ya, let us know how it works out wensday.

dabatman99

Well went to the dealership. They replaced and programmed my new ecu. Car starts fine. Now I'm havine a P0404 code (EGR), and P0420 (catalyst), and now the signal from the O2 sensor is not displaying on my scan tool, but there is no code for it. Been driving it that way since yesterday. I'm going to have to try to measure the voltage coming from the O2 sensor and see if it is actually working (it is a brand new denso). The egr might need cleaning as well. I'm thinking I've solved some problems, now have to solve some more.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
P0420 is basically an O2 sensor code. When the ECU gets similar readings from both the primary and secondary o2 sensor, it can throw this code. Similar readings from both sensors is a sign that the catalytic converter is not working properly.

Also, since you just had the ECU re-programmed, it might need to "re-learn" everything.. which will show the O2 sensors as N/A until the ECU is good.