Seafoam?

BHOLD6160

I'm looking to use seafoam on my motor today and I'm not looking for anyone's opinion on if I should do it, I've already done my research.

What I need to know is, I am about to make 115 mile trip and I'm wondering if I should do the seafoam before my trip and then change my oil once I get there or should I change my oil before making the trip.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U will be fine to drive 150 miles.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd change oil before driving. Just my $.02. Every time I've used it, I drive for a mile to two miles (until it stops smoking), and then do a full oil change.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you putting it in the oil or in from the vacuum lines? IMO if you are putting it in the oil I would change it before. If not, I wouldn't worry about changing it.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aren't you supposed to drive it like 80+ miles before changing it to get the full affect?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol didn't hurt my car. I drove it like 100+ miles before I changed it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Seafoam is petrol based, so you can leave it in your oil/fuel for extended periods of time and its fine. Its more powerful stuff like Kreen and other "flushing" compounds that you don't want to leave in too long because it can damage seals. But if you are adding it to the crankcase the only reason you need to change oil quickly is if you think there is a lot of sludge that will break loose, but even in that case your oil filter should catch all of it.

I have experience with many different types of solvents in gas engines, and I can tell you that seafoam or anything else sold retail is not going to damage your engine.

BHOLD6160

Thanks for the input everyone. My other concern is that when I was changing my plug wires a couple weeks ago there was quite a bit of burnt oil residue on my #2 cylinder wire. Could this indicate some kind of leak? There was nothing any of the other wires and I have been checking on the new one to see if it comes back and it hasn't. Just wanna make sure relieving all that carbon build up isn't going to give me more problems.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Oil on the boot down in the spark plug tubes or on the actual wire part? If there is not visible oil now then someone might have just spilled some at one time.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've read the oil should be changed after 50 miles max (if put in the engine). I wouldn't drive that long with seafoam in the engine but that's just me.

I did loads of research back when I seafoamed my car. I didn't end up putting any in the engine. I just did 1/3 in the tank and 1/3 in a vacuum line. Destroyed my o2 sensor within the first 500 feet but the car ran smooth as hell after I changed the o2 sensor.

BHOLD6160

I've read the oil should be changed after 50 miles max (if put in the engine). I wouldn't drive that long with seafoam in the engine but that's just me.

I did loads of research back when I seafoamed my car. I didn't end up putting any in the engine. I just did 1/3 in the tank and 1/3 in a vacuum line. Destroyed my o2 sensor within the first 500 feet but the car ran smooth as hell after I changed the o2 sensor.
Was it the upstream or downstream o2 that was destroyed?

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Normally Ill run the car to empty. Put 1/3 in my tank. Go fill up. Go back home n do 1/3 in the crank case no the rest into the vacuum line on the intake side. Be careful tho. You don't want to stall the motor. Then I'll drive 50+ miles to a quick lube n have them change my oil. Then drive home all nice n smooth.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2