Second language

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is anyone on here bilingual? I'm wanting to learn a second language but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I would like to learn Spanish first. I've looked into buying Rosetta Stone, but it's pretty pricey. Has anyone on here used it before? Or know of anyone that has? If it's a foolproof, pretty much guaranteed way to learn then I don't mind the price. If you did learn a second language how did you do it? And how has it proven beneficial in your work/ personal life?

Thanks guys!

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I heard Rosetta stone is worth it. Another option would be if you don't want to spend the money watch Spanish channels. The more you hear Spanish only the more you will pick it up. Think about it when you learned English it was not from you studyingit was from llistening to the language.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and now I work with a guy from Mexico so I learn some from him. If you are in the automotive industry then Spanish is the way to go bc you can reach a lot more customers.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was born in Monterrey, Mexico, but I moved here when I was 3. I'm fluent in both English and Spanish and I took French in high school but I learned a little from that class.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and now I work with a guy from Mexico so I learn some from him. If you are in the automotive industry then Spanish is the way to go bc you can reach a lot more customers.
Or in his case the restaurant business.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I used to speak French near fluently. I've lost most of it over the years. I can still read it fairly well, but I can't speak it. I learned through high school / college courses. Honestly, it hasn't helped me much. I wouldn't try to learn French, unless you move somewhere with a big French population.

I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone, but have never used it myself. You might be able to find an... umm... evaluation copy... online.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used to speak French near fluently. I've lost most of it over the years. I can still read it fairly well, but I can't speak it. I learned through high school / college courses. Honestly, it hasn't helped me much. I wouldn't try to learn French, unless you move somewhere with a big French population.

I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone, but have never used it myself. You might be able to find an... umm... evaluation copy... online.
I shall look for this "evaluation copy" you speak of.

Merci et bonne journée remercier ;)

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
X2, i have never used Rosetta either but i am more than bilingual. I am fluent in English and Spanish. I am near fluent in Japanese and French and Portuguese. I have lost most of my German and Russian (although i can still understand them from time to time). I am also learning others but the best help you can do for yourself is to live the language. Learning new languages are very helpful, just not in the way that people expect them to be. While learning a language have fun and try hard, you will notice that the more you dive into it, the more it will become a natural part of you.

Jose1027

Registered VIP
I speak english and spanish, i speak Spanish perfectly just like english, afterall im a beaner lol:p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on the manufacturer. I work for Porsche and no offense to the spanish speaking members but it wouldn't do me a damn bit of good. Other than the obvious being German to speak better with the reps, I would reach more customers if I learned Japanese or Chinese. I have quite a few Chinese customers that barely speak English.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Depends on the manufacturer. I work for Porsche and no offense to the spanish speaking members but it wouldn't do me a damn bit of good. Other than the obvious being German to speak better with the reps, I would reach more customers if I learned Japanese or Chinese. I have quite a few Chinese customers that barely speak English.
This is also true, its usefuleness will depend on its enviornment used as well.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It depends where your located too. You're in Washington correct? Alot more Japanese/chinese people there than in the Midwest here. For me it would be in order of
1. Spanish
2. Hmong/Vietnamese
3. Somolian
If I wanted to reach more people here. Most somolians know English fairly well though.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I took some Japanese classes in college, and I watch a lot of anime in Japanese... my Japanese is trash though. I can understand some things I hear, but I couldn't speak it to save my life at this point. It's not very useful in Texas... I'd do better to learn Vietnamese or Korean... not very many Japanese where I live, but Vietnamese and Koreans EVERYWHERE!

My wife is hispanic and completely fluent in English and proper Spanish (not the spanglish most young hispanics in Texas seem to speak). She tries to get me to learn, but I'm too lazy to speak it... I understand what I hear her and her mother saying about me more than I let on though.

With any skill though, you have to use it or lose it... if you want to learn another language, you're going to need to talk to people in that language to learn it well.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for all the responses guys! I really didn't expect this many :lol:

So I guess it seems like full immersion would be the best approach. I'll likely find some books on Spanish at the local library and then try my best to speak it as often as I can and go from there. I deal with many Spanish speaking customers on a daily basis. I'll probably watch some Spanish tv with English subtitles and try and pick up on some.

Thanks a lot guys! Much appreciated

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Let us know how it goes. I have been interested in doing this as well but don't really have a practical application for it.

Jose1027

Registered VIP

So I guess it seems like full immersion would be the best approach. I'll likely find some books on Spanish at the local library and then try my best to speak it as often as I can and go from there. I deal with many Spanish speaking customers on a daily basis. I'll probably watch some Spanish tv with English subtitles and try and pick up on some.

If you have questions hmu bro:D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

If you want full immersion and have a passport you should come with me to Mexico whenever I go down there.