Seeking advice on mechanic's recommendation

madfarmer

Hello all, I"m new to this forum but have a quick question. I bought a 2001 Honda Civic GX last year. I am trying to tune it up in all the ways I know how, not being an actual mechanic, but watching lots of Youtube videos and being handy enough. I've changed serpentine belts, alternator, struts and shocks, spark plugs, and have all new tires.

My question is this: when I put new tires on the car, the mechanic said I need new ball joints on the front and motor mounts at the engine as well. I'm curious about how much of a necessity this actually is on my car. They showed me how there was about 1/4" of play in the ball joints but is that something that really needs replacing? Same with the motor mounts. They said "they are old." Well of course they are, it's a fifteen year old car.

I'm happy to replace things that need replacing but don't want to spend time or money on something that doesn't really need replacing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Madfarmer

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not familiar enough with ball joints to comment, but I will say that motor mounts should be replaced once engine vibration or transmission shift is getting too noticeable. If you're not sure, simply ask a car-knowledgeable friend or family member to drive your car and give their opinion. Also, if you can visually see excessive cracking in the mount or it looks like dried rubber then its time to replace or repair them.

FYI, worn mounts can easily be repaired using polyurethane (WindoWeld) but you need the convenience of being able to let them sit & cure for at least a day before re-installation. Its an option to research and consider.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If ANYTHING is worn to the point of needing replacement, replace them. Yes, this includes ball joints, engine mounts, or anything else on the car. They wouldn't put it on the car in the first place if it didn't have a purpose. That purpose is removed when they are worn to the point of failure.

Worn ball joints can cause alignment issues and have the potential to ruin your pretty new tires quicker than they normally would. Plus you don't want to find out what could happen if you were to lose a ball joint at highway speeds.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes ball joints keep your car safely on the road. if your going to replace ball joints then also replace your control arm bushings.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Plus you don't want to find out what could happen if you were to lose a ball joint at highway speeds.
My buddy destroyed a ball joint on the highway a couple month ago... he got lucky he didn't fly out of control..

So OP, yes, if your ball joints are bad, replace them!

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks like your buddy will also be replacing his underwear and seat.

cajunfire

Dude. Had this exact thin happen to me on 95 accord. Car came to a quick stop from 45. Tire was sucked up in to fender well. Luckily no one was hurt.