Separating front upright and balljoint

jockellis

YouTube videos, Haynes manual and all the threads I've googled make separating the lower balljoint from the upright seem easy. But I can't get the hang of it and it appears I must to get the passenger side cv axle off. Help, please!

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get yourself some of these........

i know its the wrong one just using picture as a referrence on how to use the tool

pound the s*** out of it while someone stands on the lower control arm till it pops out.....make sure you dont miss and take out the persons legs....lol......................you can rent the fork tool at autozone and when your done get your money back upon returning it

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The best and easiest way to separate the ball joint from the lower control arm is to use this tool:

The smaller puller on the top left corner is the perfect size to pull apart the ball joint.

Advance Auto rents them out. I just rented the tool kit this past weekend for $106 and I got my money back when I returned it. So you get to rent it for free basically..

You do have to be a bit careful with the tool though. Keep the castle nut on the stud but loose towards the bottom of the stud. When you set the tool in place, carefully and slowly turn the press little by little. If the ball joint does not separate after a few turns, make one more turn and leave the tool in place for a few minutes. This will allow the pressure from the tool to strain the balljoint and when you make one or 2 more turns, it should pop off and you'll be done. Do not rush it or force it. You will risk damaging the ball joint stud and then you're stuck replacing the whole ball joint... Not good. Just be paitient and be a little gentle.

I know some people have luck beating the crap out of the lower control arm/ball joint with a hammer and/or using a pickle fork separator. But I know that does not always work. Also, the pickle fork type separators can tear the ball joint boots which you do not want to do.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No need to make 2 threads for the same question...
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=220150

I already answered your question in the other thread.

As I just mentioned in the other thread, I would advise against using the tools and doing what i_got_boost just mentioned. Hitting the arm does not always work and using the pickle fork does not always work either and you can tear the boot if you're not careful.

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No need to make 2 threads for the same question...
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=220150

I already answered your question in the other thread.

As I just mentioned in the other thread, I would advise against using the tools and doing what i_got_boost just mentioned. Hitting the arm does not always work and using the pickle fork does not always work either and you can tear the boot if you're not careful.
lmao.....your right he seemed like he was in a hurry......so i gave him the hurry up answer......:oops:

jockellis

Thanks. Yes, I am in a hurry. I bought my daughter's '91 wagon and needed the level cement of the garage for work safety. My wife, however, wants it out yesterday so she can put her car back in.
Does the lower balljoint have to be separated in order to get the external cv joint out. Seems like the YouTubians managed without this drastic step.