shakes/jumps on take off

Ariel-Marie32

when throttling the gas at take off say from a light my car will shake/jump. im not quite sure what it is bc it doesnt do it once im driving only when leaving a light or pulling off a hill. it does it and makes stuff jump around n my car ive had to readjust my stereo a time or two. kind of hard to explain on here. generally i give it a bit more gas and after a min or so it stops once im driving. currently i have a 96 civic 4door but i originally had a 92 and it did the same thing and never figured it what it was.:???:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it did it in your old car and it does it in your current car its probably your driving skills, also could be a light weight flywheel or something?

Ariel-Marie32

No it has nothing to do with my driving skills or the fact that I'm a girl. I work on cars and race as well as does my bf and no one can figure out what it is. It does it when he drives it or anyone else actually.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome to the Club btw.

Is your car manual or automatic? Was the 92 manual or automatic? What modifications were done to the car?

Ariel-Marie32

Both are manual drive. I refuse to drive anything automatic lol. And as of right now my 96 has nothing done to it, just stock. My 92 was as well. I first thought it was something fuel related like maybe it was shaking like it was about to die but i had to replace my fuel pump on my 96 and it made no difference so now im not sure what it could be. But its not small like maybe the steering wheel jerking. Its a crazy jerk that makes my stereo jump like the whole car

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My 2000 Civic did this when I put an intake on it, I blocked off the AASV which provided air to the thermostat housing and the intake manifold, but I believe the 96-98 doesn't have the FIA system. I'd just double check any hose that may attach to the intake and make sure none came loose, etc. My car hopped and shuddered at take offs the way it would if you didn't give it enough gas taking off (like a noob driving stick). I had been driving it without issues and had no problems taking off at low rpms. That was my issue, I don't think you'll have the FIA issue, but it seems like maybe there's a vacuum leak or something?

Do it drive fine when you get going? No hesitations, etc? When was the last time a FULL tune up was done?

Ariel-Marie32

Nope it does fine once you get going. My intake on the 92 was stock at one point i took it off to see if it made any diff no luck. Ive put a after market air intake on my 96 i have now and no diff either. i also recently replaced my fuel pump as well on my 96 and its not made any diff either. I wonder if maybe its possible something could be in a gas line or something. Like maybe its not fully blocked and only noticeable when a small amount is going thru?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When was a tune up done? Seems like your low end mixture maybe off, which could be messed up by crappy plugs, wires, distributor cap or rotor, fuel filter. All of these things we can rule out with a simple tune up.