shaving front license plate holes?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Now that my car is lowered, I'm thinking about getting a license plate relocator kit. NYS is tough with plates and I got s**t when I had my rear plate in my rear window and not in the trunk spot and I know of people that have gotten s**t for not having their front plate on. So instead of riding with no front plate, I thought I'd go the relocator kit route.

Anyways... What does it take to shave the license plate holes? Or at least clean them up? When I got into an accident with a UPS truck last year, the body shop f**king screwed in screws into new holes into the front bumper. So on top of having 4 empty holes, I have 2 other ones and the plastic is all mangled on them and stick out. It's ugly. I'd like to get it fixed before rocking the relocator kit.

Any advice? Thanks in advance guys.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They make plugs for the stock 4 holes. If you dont like those, sand them down 'till theyre flush w/the bumper, and fill whatever is left in w/body filler. Then prime, paint, & clear. Would be 1000x easier w/just the plugs, b/c they come painted from Honda.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is gonna sound retarded but I've gotten the plugs before and I didn't know how they went in :rolf:. The holes were HELLA bigger than the plugs and wouldn't straight up "plug in".

But besides those 4 holes, I'm saying there are 2 more outside those 4 where the body shop screwed in my front license plate. I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember. So basically I have 6 holes, and 2 are f**ked up because they literally screwed in screws so the plastic came out a little bit around the hole.

I would love to sand down the holes and use body filler and repaint it but the rest of my bumper is complete s**t. Rock chip heaven. It would look so out of place if I just painted that one spot. And I can't afford a whole new paint job / front bumper right now. I guess that kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to shave them though right? :lol:

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well if u now how to paint. id clean the holes of sand them or whatever? fiber glass the back of the holes not 2 separate piece but one long strip. i did at least 2 layers with a good amount of resin. then bondo the front side sand it smooth and primer paint clear wet sand and buff.

i love the way it looks..

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You gotta buy the little metal brackets for the bumper plugs to work. They're like $6.50 a freaking piece. Just go to honda and buy em. THey'll print out a parts ssheet of the front bumper assembly and you'll see what is holding in the bumper plugs

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There are metal brackets that go on the inside of the bumper. The bumper plugs clip into those brackets.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What does being lower have to do with relocating the plate?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well NOW the metal bracket makes sense :lol:.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13S020_B46.gif
Is it part #4?

And I've always thought relocated plates look better with lowered cars. I tried it when I was at stock height and it looked weird.

Anyone have thoughts if I just grind down the 2 drilled holes and use touch up paint and then use bumper plugs for the factory holes? Just thought of that lol.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes it's number four. I'd suggest looking for someone who can paint a few parts for you.

ryanM

you cant just paint that one spot, if you are going to fill the holes and prime, you need to sand and paint the whole thing.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
get the plugs working. it isn't as smooth as a shaved front, but it removes the holes easily.

so, why exactly did the body shop screw in extra holes to your bumper?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i were you, its take the bumper off, sand it real good and respray it. its a blk car and you wouldnt have to perfectly match it. as long as you get the right shade of blk. and since you got rock chips and cookies anyways. why not sand those out as well. that one w b16a2 did came out great.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you can somehow make it over to my place for a weekend, and you buy the paint/supplies, Id gladly repaint ur front bumper for you.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you cant just paint that one spot, if you are going to fill the holes and prime, you need to sand and paint the whole thing.
Yeah. Like I said, my front bumper is destroyed. It looks like all hell. Painting that 1 spot would look terrabad. So I'm thinking I'll just sand down the surrounding plastic around the fresh screwed holes and use touch up paint (got a free little can of it from a local Honda body shop today ;)) on whatever I sand down. It won't look all that great but at least it won't make the sanded plastic look like s**t.

get the plugs working. it isn't as smooth as a shaved front, but it removes the holes easily.

so, why exactly did the body shop screw in extra holes to your bumper?
Who knows. That's quality service for yah. I didn't even notice til months and months and months down the road when I took off my front plate to wax the bumper.

if i were you, its take the bumper off, sand it real good and respray it. its a blk car and you wouldnt have to perfectly match it. as long as you get the right shade of blk. and since you got rock chips and cookies anyways. why not sand those out as well. that one w b16a2 did came out great.
Can't afford paint jobs right now. Got lots of payments to make on my cc to get caught up on it from all the suspension parts I bought.

If you can somehow make it over to my place for a weekend, and you buy the paint/supplies, Id gladly repaint ur front bumper for you.
I'll be out of town /w friends to celebrate the holiday :(. Otherwise, I'd def try to make it.

I got a tiny bottle of touch up paint for free today. I went to the Honda dealership I've been going to lately and I asked that 1 kid if they carried touch up paint. He said no but he could give me a coupon so the dealership's body shop up the road could mix me a small bottle of it for free :lol:. It's probably the same amount as buying the real stuff from the dealership. He quoted me $14.99 for those tiny bottles of Flamenco Black Pearl :shock:.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not this weekend, 'tard. Any weekend your available. Man.......asians.....:lol: