Shifter Bushing - How Loose Is Too Loose?

FunkyColdMedina

Did a search and didn't get anything super accurate...

But I am coming from a RWD car (AE86) where the shifter was super tight and precise, I just got my EK "winter beater" and I find that even in gear I can still move the gear stick 1-2 inches side-to-side. Is this normal for an FWD car? Several of my friends say this is normal, my buddy also has an EK and his is about as loose as mine but both of ours are around 200-300k KMs on the odometer. As this is the first FWD manual car I have owned I am not sure if this is normal or should I replace the bushings using the Energy Suspension kit?

I also find it is sometimes hard to get into reverse. I sometimes have to go 1-R a bunch of times, or 1-2-R until it "notches" into place. Clutch was recently replaced, plenty of fluid in reservoir, should I simply flush/replace the fluid?

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
No its not! you need to replace the shifter linkage bushings! Suspension energy makes a good set! and for the Reverse issue its just a common issue with Hondas, they don't have a synchronizer for reverse gear, therefore its a pain to get in gear! double clutch and you should be fine!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ Yep. All of that, lol.

asinclado

In my experience, I've had 3 hondas, and found that you always need to go 1-R for reverse.

by the way? is there anyone who makes shifter bushings harder than the energy ones? and does any one have any experience with them (harder bushings)?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In my experience, I've had 3 hondas, and found that you always need to go 1-R for reverse.
Same! I got so used to it that I found myself doing that when I switched to my G35... and still occasionally with my RSX. It's funny how muscle memory works.