short ram intake problems

randypogue

Has anybody had expierence with the intake sucking in to much hot air? I have heard to run a longer tube from my k&n to the front bumper but my friend has done that to his eclipse gt and its geting water and to much crud on his filter. What should i do header wrap or what?:???:

cuetip

Registered VIP
nah man, i havent had s**t on my headers and have a short ram intake for at least 8 months, and havent had problems yet

ribal_gh

Try to use an isollator for the filter, that is similar to the K&N FIPK.
this will help decrease the air temprature surrounding the filter.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Short ram intakes are a waste of money flat out, most people get them for the looks and sound, but people never seem to notice the stock air box they removed pulled its air in from outside the engine bay. A little metal flap won't change much, sitting still heat will soak through the metal pipe anyways. At speed you have lots of turbulence under the hood moving the air around.

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
I just changed from CAI to SR and I haven't seen any difference. I'm sure it's sucking in hotter air because now it's pulling air from the engine bay, not the bumper area, however, I did it for several reasons. 1) Easier to clean instead of having to remove wheel when you want to clean/inspect...2) Drove in snow the other day and filter got wet on CAI...3) SR is LOUDER (not by much), but with a Y8 engine, CAI vs SR doesn't make much of a difference in power gains in the first place.

Good luck. I saw an idea on another forum website where the guy ran a tube from his bumper to the 3"-4" round opening behind the passenger headlight where his SR filter sat so it would get a direct shot of air from the tunneled air.