Should I keep my 00 civic ex?

nitroduck

I am having to get plates on my 00 Honda Civic EX at the end of the month, and I currently have a check engine light on, due to my catalytic converter, and my entire exhaust is rusted thru. The car also leaks oil from the biggest oversized plug that will go in my oil pan. Oh, and to make matters worse, I have no AC. Bad compressor, and bad luck that i live in Missouri, and its 108 everyday! lol.

So ive had quotes from some local shops, and ive had $900 for cat, exhaust, labor
$600 for new oil pan, labor

If anyone has any input if i can possibly due this myself, or if it would even be worth the trouble.

My car looks good, and runs great, but no ac, 209K miles and the check engine light problem. It seems it may be time to sell.:(

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
motot swap and get a ebay catback, problem sovled

nitroduck

Theres really nothin wrong with the engine tho. It looks like I could get the cat and exhaust for about $500. Unless I could get a universal catalytic converter. But i have no idea if that would take care of the check engine light?

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a cat for 00 civic ex =)

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
For the converter just do the old spark plug defouler trick!... and that much for a oil pan!!??

nitroduck

Well the cat and exhaust def need to be changed. They are rusting and falling apart. Do you have any idea if a universal CC will fix my check engine light problem. I was told from a shop that it was from the CC, but there's such a price difference between universal and direct fit, that it just seems it may be a bad idea

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just fix it yourself. You'll save a lot more money. Just shop around for the parts that are needed. The stuff you mentioned are fairly simple to fix.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Clean the oil pan bung with a clean, dry rag and get a urethane drain bolt washer. That should fix, or mostly fix your leak. Ebay exhaust with universal magnaflow cat can be had for less than $300. Junkyard A/C compressor for $10-20, or search LKQ online. You can do this stuff yourself with simple hand tools (except for welding the cat. I paid a shop $30 to install a universal cat).

Jlpz88

Registered VIP
I had the same problem with my cat I bought a direct fit Magna flow cat for 150 and a 4-2-1 header for 170 and just replaced it my self

nitroduck

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like me and my dad r gonna order a universal cat, amd a fairly cheap catback, and hope for the best

Alex_fl05

Did you check craigslist? I bought almost all the parts for an ex on craigslist and you'd be surprised how cheap you can find stuff. Oh and never ask pricing advice and quotes from a shop. They deff want your money.