Should I replace a broken Soft Top Holder Plate?

jdtechtalk00

Hey guys,

The rag top on my '04 S2000 has been more abused then a red-headed stepchild by the previous owner (seriously- there's sap stains galore, tears in the usual frame areas and there's a sizeable tear right dead center in the poor thing) therefore I though that I would bite the proverbial bullet and replace it. I've already disassembled the top but while I was inspecting its components I noticed that the Soft Top Holder Plate (Ref # 23 in this diagram: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=51&productID=12&yearID=35&doorID=1&gradeID=106&areaID=2&transmissionID=8&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=7&idAndImageID=9032%20940245&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Soft%20Top%20Frame) is totally cracked. This part doesn't seem too pivotal to the top's overall functionality- although I could be wrong- yet the perfectionist inside of me is egging me on to just replace the part since it's only $8.

Can anyone tell me if the Holder Plate is necessary to be in tip-top condition when replacing a soft top? I'd truly appreciate any input that you fine folks may have! :D

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For $8, just replace it.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you do realize this is club civic right?

jdtechtalk00

you do realize this is club civic right?
Billy,

I concede that my thread may have been slightly off-topic but I know that a lot of devoted Honda fans have concurrent knowledge about other Honda models besides Civics. Plus, I place a high level of respect for the opinions and knowledge displayed by the forum members on this board so I was hoping to gain additional insights into my S2000 related dilemma. It never hurts to get second opinions :cool:

At any rate, thank you guys for the replies! I ended up just replacing the part and everything is going swimmingly with my top replacement job =)

Have a great weekend!