• White

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

smrtss2

Anyone want my front end?
5+ Year Member
OK the factory clear is peeling off my Si rims and theres a little (remarkably little) rash from the last ten years and I can't stand looking at them like that. I know I have to sand the beJezus out of them regardless so the question is do I polish and clear them or paint them and then clear them? I know how to do the work, I just want a general concensus on which way to go in the form of public opinion.

If I polish them I'll have to worry about them yellowing and its less to protect them in Chicagos winters. I like the look but its SOO labor intensive and I'll probably end up re-doing them at least once a year.

Painting is easier and will protect better but what'll go with a red SI and not look dumb? I like the graphite color and I'm thinking of leaving the lip polished (maybe not) but I'm not sure if it'll look to dark.

White will stand out really well but I"m worried it might look like a "Radio Flyer" wagon because the car is red.

If you say OTHER please give me a color and if anyone has pics of painted Si's or can photoshop color options on a red Si I'll appreciate the hell out of it.

Last edited:

enycesam

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have to sand and then use a polish to polish them. But you have to strip the clear coat first. There's a write-up on here about polishing wheels. There is no need to clear or paint.

smrtss2

5+ Year Member
I will have to clear them after I strip all the old clear off and polish them. I'll need the new clear to protect them.

smrtss2

5+ Year Member
Bump for more answers.

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You don't need to clear them to protect them.
Give it a coat of wax, it will keep it protected well.
When you wash your car, just give it a new layer of wax each time. My wheels are keeping it's shine.

JMan8108

SOHC VTEC SON!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I will have to clear them after I strip all the old clear off and polish them. I'll need the new clear to protect them.
Clear wont stick to polished wheels. The closest thing you can do is have clear powdercoat put on them after they are polished. I saw this on a polished IM and you could hardly tell it was coated, and stayed very clean.