simple ignition timing question re: jumping service check connector

dlb

i have a 92 VX that the previous owner put a mini me (d15b7 block/d16z6 head) into. i noticed a big of pinging when going up hills at around 2000 rpm so i checked the timing and it's advanced quite a bit (my timing gun is cheap and doesn't give advance specs). i followed these steps

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/0il4i-set-timing-93-civic-vx-vtec.html

but i checked the timing both with and without jumping the service check connector, both before and after i adjusted the timing, and saw no visible difference between the two. so my question is: when you jump the connector, should there be a visible change in the advance?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think jumping the connector is so the ECU will accept the changes, and not try to compensate? I believe it's that way to change the idle as well

dlb

ahhhh, cool. thanks.

one more similar question: in my searching, someone mentioned that after setting the timing you need to reset the CEL. however, my CEL went out once i removed the wire from the service check connector. which is normal, or is it different for different areas/models/years?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry about late reply. I think disconnecting the battery for about a minute should reset it, if the code hadn't reset already