SOHC overhaul..many questions

Burdtkogle

I recently began working on my 95 sohc vtech civic. Ive just resurfaced my heads because of a blown head gasket. With this clean top end sitting on my floor i got the inspiration to get A new camshaft. From what ive heard camshafts are a poor investment with a sohc honda. But i do wonder if i would have any hp gains by installing a cold air intake along with a larger throttle body and a skunk2 intake manifold along with some mild cams( nothing agressive enough to warrant a new valve train). People tell my to go turbo but i would rather have a more reliable set up. Keep in mind i still have an automatic transmission( although i do have a manual transmission at my disposal)

I just began repairing the blow head gasket on my 95 sohc vetch honda. With its top end sitting on my floor i decided i wanted to purchase new cams (cam). Ive been told that cams are pretty useless with this particular engine. Still id rather not go with a turbo . so i wonder if i were to install a larger throttle body along with an aftermarket intake manifold and mild performance cams would i make any noticable gains? The cam im looking at wouldn't require a new valve train but i wonder if i would get a satisfying change in sound even before making any exhaust improvements..

Last edited by a moderator:

saquon

I just began repairing the blow head gasket on my 95 sohc vetch honda. With its top end sitting on my floor i decided i wanted to purchase new cams (cam). Ive been told that cams are pretty useless with this particular engine. Still id rather not go with a turbo . so i wonder if i were to install a larger throttle body along with an aftermarket intake manifold and mild performance cams would i make any noticable gains? The cam im looking at wouldn't require a new valve train but i wonder if i would get a satisfying change in sound even before making any exhaust improvements..
You'll feel the power with all that and port and polish the head

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't bother. You won't get much out of just replacing the cams alone. Generally to do it right you'll need to upgrade springs, retainers, etc. And a tune to get the most power out of it.

Burdtkogle

I wouldn't bother. You won't get much out of just replacing the cams alone. Generally to do it right you'll need to upgrade springs, retainers, etc. And a tune to get the most power out of it.
What about the throttle body and manifold? If not what where do you recommend i start to gain some extra power..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
With the d-series engine, it's not really worth it, unless you plan on putting quite a bit of money into it. If you're looking for power, swapping the motor or boosting the engine are your best options.

When I had a D-series engine, I did the intake, header, exhaust route. Didn't really notice much of a gain, it really only sounded different. Maybe slightly more pep going up hills. Then did a mini-me swap, minimal gain, vtec was cool but I still wasn't impressed. Then did a B-series motor swap.. it became a fun car. Then boosted that, it became a really fun car...

DeviousJuney

With a d series engine you can open its potential if you spend money on it , Rebuild engine , Better pistons and rods , better fuel line and injectors (E85) and turbo boost it also have a good clutch kit like action clutch and a short shifter , also wwith power one needs good grip tires don't forget. unless you wanna have some spin.. Obviously theres more to this i didnt explain throughly but youtube can help you. Look up Save SOHC =) (Thats what im planning to do with my d16y8)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Burdtkogle, I merged the other created you created into this thread as theyre both related. The other post of yours is now within your first post here so edit it accordingly. Below is my response to it...

Doing any such upgrades for an automatic set-up will not justify the time or money that would be spent as its designed for fuel efficiency. A bit of research on your part will yield the same responses, which have been asked recently. Begin research because all of your questions have been covered repeatedly.

DeviousJuney

@Burdtkogle, I merged the other created you created into this thread as theyre both related. The other post of yours is now within your first post here so edit it accordingly. Below is my response to it...

Doing any such upgrades for an automatic set-up will not justify the time or money that would be spent as its designed for fuel efficiency. A bit of research on your part will yield the same responses, which have been asked recently. Begin research because all of your questions have been covered repeatedly.
Or he can Do a auto to manual swap

Burdtkogle

I do have a manual tranny at my disposal so thats gonna be my next move. For now i want a clean honda that can make it over the grapevine with ease.

DeviousJuney

I do have a manual tranny at my disposal so thats gonna be my next move. For now i want a clean honda that can make it over the grapevine with ease.
Yeah, just make sure you get everything for the swap. theres a thread that can help on here and also on other forums

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
why not just swap a f22b over still a SOHC they're cheap motors and can easily be attained and they already make same hp as the b18b does in completely stock form. with just the balance shaft removed it can make as much power as the stock B16 while still being stock