Spark plug change

710times

So I went to go change the spark plugs today on my 2000 ex coupe for the first time since I've gotten it (December 2016). I'm pretty sure it's the first time the plugs have ever been changed. The car has been running alright but I'm expecting it'll run alot better now than it was. Take a look at the pictures of the spark plugs I took out. I replaced them with ZFR5F-11. He plugs I took out were ZFR5F GP can someone tell me if those are likely stock plugs. After looking at the plugs I still wonder how it was running on all 4 cylinders. 20170327_141630.jpg

xxValiumxx

from left to right it looks like the first 2 are okay, the second 2, coolant deposits, not to mention that cracked insulator on the last caused by who knows what.

710times

from left to right it looks like the first 2 are okay, the second 2, coolant deposits, not to mention that cracked insulator on the last caused by who knows what.
Ya, they looked pretty bad. I drive my car everywhere and it doesn't loose coolant at all. I haven't driven it after putting new plugs in but I'm sure it's going to run alot better. I thought it ran pretty good as it was I normally would check the plugs being the first thing after buying the car. I'm surprised it wasn't running off 3 cylinders. I'm thinking it might run better now. When I got the car the primary o2 sensor was unplugged. The guy I got it from said it was unplugged for at least 5 year's. The car ran like crap and threw a cel. After putting a new primary o2 in the cel went off and it ran great so that's why I never considered looking at the plugs till I got my new ngks in today. Then I was wowed at what I seen. I've did many swaps on v8 cars and trucks and a few swaps on Hondas but have never came across a plug so nasty and old looking. That's why I thought these were factory plugs

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xxValiumxx

Yeah sorry, I didn't even address the question!
You have the D16Y8 motor, so that used NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs OEM. Apparently you could also find them with DENSO KJ16CR-L11 plugs, though I've always heard 'use NGK only' enough that it's practically a mantra at this point.

710times

Yeah sorry, I didn't even address the question!
You have the D16Y8 motor, so that used NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs OEM. Apparently you could also find them with DENSO KJ16CR-L11 plugs, though I've always heard 'use NGK only' enough that it's practically a mantra at this point.
Ok cool. So I put the oem plug back in. I'm just curious what caused the plugs to look like that. Could the primary o2 being unplugged for so long cause the plugs to turn that way? The plugs I took out were ZFR5F GP so they had to be changed at some point in its life. But that might have been the only time they were changed

xxValiumxx

It certainly could. Without the O2 sensor the ECU has like, zero feedback on what's going on inside the engine regarding how the mixture is burning and whether or not it needs to lean out or enrich the mixture.
I may have mis-diagnosed those deposits. If it's an ashy deposit, then it could very well be oil getting into the combustion chamber, I suspect leaky valve seals in a car of this vintage. I'd drive the car for a bit, say a month or so, and check the new plugs, see if there are similar deposits.
Gratz on the new car BTW. mmmm VTEC....

710times

It certainly could. Without the O2 sensor the ECU has like, zero feedback on what's going on inside the engine regarding how the mixture is burning and whether or not it needs to lean out or enrich the mixture.
I may have mis-diagnosed those deposits. If it's an ashy deposit, then it could very well be oil getting into the combustion chamber, I suspect leaky valve seals in a car of this vintage. I'd drive the car for a bit, say a month or so, and check the new plugs, see if there are similar deposits.
Gratz on the new car BTW. mmmm VTEC....
Thank you, i had a 91 hatch obd1 wiring with a b18c1 i swapped in that i swapped for a set of 24 inch rims. stupidist trade ive ever did. so im trying to save up to at least get an LS or b20 swap for now since they seem to be the cheapest. this is my family car also. so i have to keep ac which wont be an issue

710times

oh whats weird also is that it doesnt lose any oil so im very curious what that was on my plugs. i timed it a few weeks ago after putting a new distributor. Do i need to re time it now that i put new plugs. i only ask if i need to re time it because the plugs were so messed up.
well i guess if worse comes to worse i can just hook my timing light up and check it out

710times

now i need to find some new shocks for the back. it came with those edelbrock ias coilovers that they discontinued some years back. their blown to crap and it feels like im just on springs in the rear. the front just has some eBay adjustable coilovers that'll go over any strut

710times

I drove it now for the first time and it runs like a total different car. It actually feels like a d16y8 now. It had the power of a 3 cylinder Geo Metro.