spark plugs foul out on start will not start

davidw

99 honda civic ex coupe 4 cyl. gets spark and fuel. Attemps to start but does not and i pull the plugs and notice spark plugs are fouled due to excessive fuel in cylinders. Trying to find out my repair options to fix the problem, including any advice,

Trekk

Registered VIP
What did you do to it???!!!!

Seriously. Did it just start doing that? Or did you change something / buy it like that? I'd say check the firing order, but we need more details.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
What did you do to it???!!!!

Seriously. Did it just start doing that? Or did you change something / buy it like that? I'd say check the firing order, but we need more details.
^^^We need a lot more details before we can help you with your diagnosis. Have you checked your firing order? Fuel pressure? Any other abnormal symptoms? Do you have any cell codes (check engine) ?

davidw

The car was given to me and all i have to do is repair it. The only thing i did was replace the crank sensor and replace the distributor completely on the car.
Sense my last post the car starts, but now it idles roughly and backfires and the engine did occasionally go up on the rpms when i press on the accelerator. Most of the time no matter how far i push the peddle it mostly stays at a rough idle and when it does idle up the motor tries to idle up but goes back down and tries to stop running. I did note that the engine light is on now because before it did not come on at all.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The car was given to me and all i have to do is repair it. The only thing i did was replace the crank sensor and replace the distributor completely on the car.
Sense my last post the car starts, but now it idles roughly and backfires and the engine did occasionally go up on the rpms when i press on the accelerator. Most of the time no matter how far i push the peddle it mostly stays at a rough idle and when it does idle up the motor tries to idle up but goes back down and tries to stop running. I did note that the engine light is on now because before it did not come on at all.
First things first, get an OBD2 port scanner (you can usually rent them from an automotive store), and get the code number and description of the CEL that it's giving you. That will give you a good place to start your repairs. Glad to hear it's running, but sounds like you've got a bit of work ahead of you.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Post the cell codes once you get them. Quite a bit of work indeed, sounds like you might have to get rid of a vacuum leak (s). If you can, try and run a compression test on all four cylinders as well.