Spark plugs problems

Gmunoz81

I have a 96 Honda 1.6 I change 3 sets of spark plugs all ready after 20 minutes all cilyders turns my plugs black no wet black like if is not getting that much gas or is to much gas I change two oxygen sensors fuel pump rotor cables all the tune up clean the trotlle helllllllllp

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Huh?!? Whats the problem? Plugs are suppose to be dry and get black from combustion they're creating. I also hope you didnt mean youve changed 3 sets of plugs because that would equate to 12 plugs. Please be more specific & write clearly as you have not described an actual problem either.

Gmunoz81

They get black fast like is rich in gas or is to much spark and not in off gas yeah s change 3 sets of plugs what else can I do

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Again, they're suppose to be black from regular usage. Running rich could potentially cause them to be wet and drop fuel efficiency. If you're not using regular 87 octane then your engine cant burn the higher octane fuel so only use regular fuel. Unless you're experiencing other issues (since you've stated none) then you might've changed plugs for no needed reason.

Are you losing fuel efficiency or having idle issues? Did you have any check-engine codes? What brand of plugs have you installed?

Gmunoz81

The plugs they get dark fast the runs good for like 20 minutes after the plugs get black after that the car starts smelling like eggs and gas and idles gets bad rough idle

Gmunoz81

I have a rough idle I did a tune up new fuel pump 2 new oxygen sensor 2 new temperature sensors clean the idle control everything happen after a tune up also I have a crack on the catalytic converter next to the first oxygen sensor can that crack can be the problem

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Gmunoz81 , please stop creating duplicate threads. I have already deleted 2 you have created in the last day that are about this same issue. Keep your comments about this issue here ONLY. I moved the previously unmentioned info you stated in the last thread attempt into this one as you should have done instead.

If you wish to resolve the issue then listen to the advice you are receiving, that you seeked out by joining this forum, and respond CLEARLY (which involves punctuations). Failing to do any of this only works against yourself as you've blindly changed parts, thus wasting money, without adequate research so far.

You have yet to answer several questions I asked. Yes, a cracked catalytic could be the issue entirely as it would lead to misreadings by the O2 and throw off the fuel delivery. Pictures would help. If the Exhaust Manifold is in fact cracked then such a leak could also lead to errant O2 sensors readings, but this is an easier fix as you can get it welded locally at around $20-$30 if its not a significant crack.

Last edited: