Speaker upgrade

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm nearly embarrassed for asking this, but am looking for real world, first hand experience.
Just wanting up upgrade the front speakers in my '98 Ex, having trouble making a decision.
I'm not going to add any amps and am only going to use my current Alpine HU as power. I am not looking to add a component set.
What would be a good sounding speaker to simply plug n play into the front doors, preferably without having to cut the door panel speaker basket?

CivicEx'00

I'm nearly embarrassed for asking this, but am looking for real world, first hand experience.
Just wanting up upgrade the front speakers in my '98 Ex, having trouble making a decision.
I'm not going to add any amps and am only going to use my current Alpine HU as power. I am not looking to add a component set.
What would be a good sounding speaker to simply plug n play into the front doors, preferably without having to cut the door panel speaker basket?
It all depends on the stock amp output in Max watts and RMS watts. (I can't tell you the specs because both of mine are aftermarket)

RMS watts are what the speaker can comfortably produce forever without pushing itself. Your speaker will sound better the closer you can match the RMS wattage to RMS output. In fact if the speaker RMS is a tad less than the output, it will sound excellent, as long as you don't push it to the breaking point. Speaker RMS wattage can be below RMS output wattage, but Max wattage of speaker shouldn't be below Max output to avoid problems.

As for speaker size, they are 6.5 x 6.5 inch if I remember correctly. The screw holes on 99% of speakers are universal, and if not the door panel is soft plastic and easy to drill into, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gives an explanation, but doesn't answer my question as regarding brands or models..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just to get you started, have you entered your car information here to check for speaker fitment?

https://www.crutchfield.com/m_399/Car-Speakers.html

Also, what's your budget?
I know what I need, either a 5.25 or shallow mount 6.5.
I'm strictly asking what others have used that has a decent sound quality, better than stock and run off aftermarket HU power.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My speaker brand of choice has been MB Quart, with 6.5" speakers in the front and 6x9s in the rear if it's a coupe. I don't recall for sure but you may need to use a rotary tool up front for some slight trimming, which is not uncommon of a step for many cars.