Speed sensor

Scubaa Stevee

Hi my 1997 Acura el has the d16y8 but I'm doing a tranny swap cuz mines screwed but the tranny I'm using is from a 94 del sol dseries will my 1997 sensor work on that 1 because the one in swapping in doesn't have the sensor

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't believe so. The EL is just a 6th gen civic right? If so the speed sensor only looks to run with the 5th gen civics.

They are cheap, just buy one that actually fits the del sol transmission. No guessing then.

Scubaa Stevee

Damn ya there's none in the scrap yard here in northern Ontario and none in stock and lost price was like 160$ lol.. Think maybe a McGuiver would work ?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Personally, I don't McGuiver stuff so I couldn't tell ya. It's a shot in the dark and I would rather do it once then do it again when/if it doesn't work. Same goes for used/junk yard parts. With electrical sensors, I don't mess with junk yard ones.

That being said, thinking harder about it I think all d-series ones are the same. You have a d-series now and the new one is from a d-series correct? I would call the dealer and have them cross the part numbers to see if they work. They should be able to tell you all the vehicles that the sensor out of your 97 fits.